New experiment tonight. I’m rolling out extra lean ground beef into a thin sheet and dehydrating it in the oven over night. Tomorrow we make pemmican. I have beef tallow and cranberries to mix it with.

I got pickling lime, NOT easily available in my local store so added to an Amazon order. I’m in need of a crock and then ready to try waterglassing eggs after the girls begin to lay.

There are sprouts in the sprouters, and my lettuce seed arrived today so I can get the hydroponic unit going soon.

There are three or four beans and a couple of
tomatoes on the plants in the shade garden.

The weather folks were wrong about our temps this weekend. Like almost 20 degrees wrong. The fruit trees go into five gallon buckets in the shade garden this weekend rather than in the ground. I’m not a gambler, but I would be willing to bet money the apple tree doesn’t make it. It was shipped bare root so really should have been here in January or February and it’s way too hot already. Never, ever, ever again will I order from Gurney’s. Ever.

New experiment tonight. I’m rolling out extra lean ground beef into a thin sheet and dehydrating it in the oven over night. Tomorrow we make pemmican. I have beef tallow and cranberries to mix it with.

I got pickling lime, NOT easily available in my local store so added to an Amazon order. I’m in need of a crock and then ready to try waterglassing eggs after the girls begin to lay.

There are sprouts in the sprouters, and my lettuce seed arrived today so I can get the hydroponic unit going soon.

There are three or four beans and a couple of
tomatoes on the plants in the shade garden.

The pemmican experiment will be interesting. I've never tasted it, have you IM?

This is the first pound of beef, dried in a 180* oven for 8 hours. I put it between two layers of waxed paper and rolled it out with my rolling pin, then transferred to the rack and put in the oven. I have another pound to dry tomorrow, then will mix everything together
7CAE61B5-B6D3-4E97-A343-1BB72315D9CF.jpeg

It’s actually not bad outside today and the wind has died down. Not for long though, we hit 100+ by Friday and into the foreseeable future. :smackPoop to that. Anyway, the mulberries arrived yesterday, early, so they’re sitting on a tray next to the arcadia door. I’m going to move them to the shade garden shortly and will have to transplant tomorrow on a break. I think a couple of the comfrey roots I transplanted may need some shade. If they don’t make it I’ll take cuttings from the other plants when the olive tree has grown up some. The one next to the Arabian lilac looks ok though. Based on our temps and the fact that it’s going to get worse, I’m going bite the bullet and transplant the fruit trees. I think they’ll have a better chance of survival in the ground vs holding them over in the shade garden through summer. I’ll pick up a few more metal stakes and some shade cloth to give them a break in the late afternoon. So far the lemongrass and sugarcane are looking ok and the jalapeño plant is still doing fine. I need to organize my watering schedule and buy a hose timer for multiple hoses once the trees are done. The tomatoes are still green but a couple of the beans are ready to pick. No cukes on the plant yet, but it has flowers.

The rooster is getting his voice. So far it’s not shrill so that’s a huge plus. I realize that can change, but each one has a unique voice and some are more pleasing than others. Fugly had a nice crow.

It’s actually not bad outside today and the wind has died down. Not for long though, we hit 100+ by Friday and into the foreseeable future. :smackPoop to that. Anyway, the mulberries arrived yesterday, early, so they’re sitting on a tray next to the arcadia door. I’m going to move them to the shade garden shortly and will have to transplant tomorrow on a break. I think a couple of the comfrey roots I transplanted may need some shade. If they don’t make it I’ll take cuttings from the other plants when the olive tree has grown up some. The one next to the Arabian lilac looks ok though. Based on our temps and the fact that it’s going to get worse, I’m going bite the bullet and transplant the fruit trees. I think they’ll have a better chance of survival in the ground vs holding them over in the shade garden through summer. I’ll pick up a few more metal stakes and some shade cloth to give them a break in the late afternoon. So far the lemongrass and sugarcane are looking ok and the jalapeño plant is still doing fine. I need to organize my watering schedule and buy a hose timer for multiple hoses once the trees are done. The tomatoes are still green but a couple of the beans are ready to pick. No cukes on the plant yet, but it has flowers.

The rooster is getting his voice. So far it’s not shrill so that’s a huge plus. I realize that can change, but each one has a unique voice and some are more pleasing than others. Fugly had a nice crow.
Do you have those hoses that seep water?
I don't know what the are called but we used them to stop the tomatoes splitting when I lived in Catalonia.

Back
Top Bottom