Broody update...yesterday she was off the nest in the hottest part of the day. I saw 3 eggs in her nest, but today her eggs are gone and there were 2 new eggs in the nest. She must have eaten them last night so we're done, if she's in the nest box tonight I'm putting her on the roost. I have my doubts about viability anyway as the temps were far too hot yesterday with no relief in the 7 day forecast, and honestly I didn't really want any more chicks.

Yes she chose the box. She could have used a wooden one in the coop instead. Eggs should hatch May 9th. That's how I'm protecting her at night from the neighborhood cats and owls.
That's a good idea, keep her safe.. my first broody momma, got her own coop..lol, I'd made the newest one and had intended to use the old one for chicken stuff storage, she stopped that idea, that coop is now occupied by Charlie and his girlfriends. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then move her to my large dog cage, she can be with the rest of the flock and not be bothered by any of the rest of them.

That's a good idea, keep her safe.. my first broody momma, got her own coop..lol, I'd made the newest one and had intended to use the old one for chicken stuff storage, she stopped that idea, that coop is now occupied by Charlie and his girlfriends. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then move her to my large dog cage, she can be with the rest of the flock and not be bothered by any of the rest of them.
Sounds like a good plan!

Broody update...yesterday she was off the nest in the hottest part of the day. I saw 3 eggs in her nest, but today her eggs are gone and there were 2 new eggs in the nest. She must have eaten them last night so we're done, if she's in the nest box tonight I'm putting her on the roost. I have my doubts about viability anyway as the temps were far too hot yesterday with no relief in the 7 day forecast, and honestly I didn't really want any more chicks.

Are you sure that something else didn't eat the egg's while she was out of the box?

I think the heat killed the developing chicks. The eggs are gone, I'm not going to let her hatch.

Remember last summer when my dark eyed girl went brood for the 2nd time when the temp's were 116F.? Well a few day's before they were due to hatch, I gave her a couple egg's from my incubator to see what would happen. The 2 chick's hatched, but one of the other hen's grabbed them and bit the head's off, then the other hen's had dinner.

Are you sure that something else didn't eat the egg's while she was out of the box?
As sure as I can be. I would think I would hear a ruckus since the whole flock is out there in that yard and I heard nothing. Honestly, I'm glad I won't have to deal with more chicks.

Remember last summer when my dark eyed girl went brood for the 2nd time when the temp's were 116F.? Well a few day's before they were due to hatch, I gave her a couple egg's from my incubator to see what would happen. The 2 chick's hatched, but one of the other hen's grabbed them and bit the head's off, then the other hen's had dinner.
Sheesh, it's a cruel world I guess. I did that my first hatch and that's how I got Fugly.

Back
Top Bottom