They’ve done a fantastic job of stripping leaves and digging things up. They’re leaving the stuff I want to keep alone so we’re in good shape.
Just let me get this soap box on level ground and I'll get on it.:D

I've had the why are the chickens locked up when there is so much they could be doing on the allotment discussion on a few occasions. I may have done a "you're doing it wrong" to the person who sort of deals with allotment matters which probably didn't go down well; some times I forget to take my book, "How To Make Friends And Influence People".:p

Most of the chicken keepers I know in person do exactly the opposite of the keeping arrangements at the allotments. It's let the chickens on the land and fence/net off the new plantings and chicken tasty, or otherwise, delicate plants.
A few chickens can turn over a lot of soil in a couple of hours.
They eat the grubs and eggs. They are as efficient at killing off future pests as a bucket load of pesticides if you get them on the plot at the right time of year.
It costs less in feed and despite what one can read on various feed threads, with a bit of management they'll get a balanced diet.
The chickens will be healthier because of the excercise and the diet variety. It's possible they may lay a small percentage fewer eggs per year, but if they live an extra year thanks to their lifestyle then any egg loss in previous years should be compensated for.
They like it.

I've got a new allotment plot right next to the chicken run. It was a bit of a mess. Stuff had just been dumped in it and over the years it's become too much of a challenge for most. It's got a couple of raspberry bushes growing, a small overgrown gooseberry bush and a couple of fruit trees growing in it all on the prevailing wind side which will hopefully give some wind protection. Any way, here are Henry, Fret, Carbon, Ella and Lima helping out with the weeding.
P2040241.JPG

A bit fuzzy but I had just cleared the pieces of wood and geo textile matt from around this area and this lot got in amoungst the weeds and plants and cleaned up.
P2040244.JPG

It’s a beautiful day here. The sun is shining and our high will be in the mid 70’s. I was happy to see that the two pullets are beginning to integrate into the flock. When we had the cockerels still they all stayed in a separate group for the most part. Today the littles are in the shade garden with the bigs enjoying the weeds. They’ve done a fantastic job of stripping leaves and digging things up. They’re leaving the stuff I want to keep alone so we’re in good shape. The chicks will be here next weekend, tomorrow I’ll get the little coop set up and ready.

So far the two Arabian lilacs out front are doing well. We’re both off next Friday so we’re trimming the mesquite tree; I’ll need to figure out where I’m going to put the wood. Hubs finished cutting up the stump from the one that fell over and got that out yesterday; next will be planting some creeping rosemary out there and then the pavers. I think that’ll do it for the front this year , things will need a chance to grow before we do much else. Plus it’ll be getting hot.

I ordered a white shade cloth for the top of the shade garden, and a strip of white for the bottom half of the walls 3/4 of the way around. I’ve been reading about a hydroponic method, the Kratky Method, that doesn’t require electricity and works outside even in hot climates. I’m giving that a go this year as I have everything on hand that I need. I’m going to try tomatoes, peppers, Armenian cucumbers and basil.

Sounds like a busy day IM! With your hot temps do you have any grass or is your yard primarily xeriscaped?

I've had the why are the chickens locked up when there is so much they could be doing on the allotment discussion on a few occasions. I may have done a "you're doing it wrong" to the person who sort of deals with allotment matters which probably didn't go down well; some times I forget to take my book, "How To Make Friends And Influence People".:p

Most of the chicken keepers I know in person do exactly the opposite of the keeping arrangements at the allotments. It's let the chickens on the land and fence/net off the new plantings and chicken tasty, or otherwise, delicate plants.
They eat the grubs and eggs. They are as efficient at killing off future pests as a bucket load of pesticides if you get them on the plot at the right time of year.
It costs less in feed and despite what one can read on various feed threads, with a bit of management they'll get a balanced diet.
The chickens will be healthier because of the excercise and the diet variety. It's possible they may lay a small percentage fewer eggs per year, but if they live an extra year thanks to their lifestyle then any egg loss in previous years should be compensated for.
They like it.

I've got a new allotment plot right next to the chicken run. It was a bit of a mess. Stuff had just been dumped in it and over the years it's become too much of a challenge for most. It's got a couple of raspberry bushes growing, a small overgrown gooseberry bush and a couple of fruit trees growing in it all on the prevailing wind side which will hopefully give some wind protection. Any way, here are Henry, Fret, Carbon, Ella and Lima helping out with the weeding.
View attachment 3395642
A bit fuzzy but I had just cleared the pieces of wood and geo textile matt from around this area and this lot got in amoungst the weeds and plants and cleaned up.
View attachment 3395641

Nice to get an allotment so close by the flock Shad!

They like it.

View attachment 3395642
View attachment 3395641
I read that book. It didn't work for me either.
Henry is looking good and so are his gals!

They like it.

View attachment 3395642
View attachment 3395641
You can get up on that soap box anytime Shad, I’ll get up there with you :highfive:

Are you not allowed to let your flock out onto your allotment? Ridiculous. That’s a lovely area for them to work and I’m sure they were happy for the time to get out and about.

Sounds like a busy day IM! With your hot temps do you have any grass or is your yard primarily xeriscaped?
Just a patch of grass for the dogs so they don’t burn their feet when they go out to potty. Otherwise it’s xeriscaped front and back with the exception of the gardens.

Back
Top Bottom