Full-coat shih tzu question?

Malibu99

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Good evening,

About 8 months ago, I bought a 4-month-old purebred shih tzu. I've made the choice to keep her full-coat, so I'm asking all of the show owners out there... When does a puppy get it's adult coat? She's in that "mats-up-no-matter-how-much-it's-brushed" stage. She'll be a year old in March. I know her puppy coat is blowing out, but I see all of these gorgeous shih tzus with shiny, flowing hair and hers is more fluffy than anything. I still love her to pieces, no matter how long it takes for her hair to look like that, but I'm just curious. Thanks :)

1794801_815593381790060_1860062971_n.jpg

The sweater was only for the picture LOL

Not a show Tzu owner or handler but professional groomer that has helped maintain a couple of dogs I will try to help :) She is adorable and kudos on wanting to keep her coat breed-proper lol. It generally takes up to 2 years to achieve a floor length coat. A TON of maintenance, time and products go into growing and keeping it! A clean, healthy coat will grow so weekly washing, conditioning and careful drying and brushing is a must! It must also be banded and brushed every few days. If you are raking mats out with a splitter or slicker you are breaking coat. The sweater is cute but a no-no for longer than a nanosecond lol. Try the sites of the Shih Tzu breed club or other fancier clubs like http://stfsc.bizland.com/grooming.htm Good Luck!

Not a show Tzu owner or handler but professional groomer that has helped maintain a couple of dogs I will try to help :) She is adorable and kudos on wanting to keep her coat breed-proper lol. It generally takes up to 2 years to achieve a floor length coat. A TON of maintenance, time and products go into growing and keeping it! A clean, healthy coat will grow so weekly washing, conditioning and careful drying and brushing is a must! It must also be banded and brushed every few days. If you are raking mats out with a splitter or slicker you are breaking coat. The sweater is cute but a no-no for longer than a nanosecond lol. Try the sites of the Shih Tzu breed club or other fancier clubs like http://stfsc.bizland.com/grooming.htm Good Luck!
Thanks :) She's brushed 2-3x a day, bathed once a week with shampoo and conditioner, and her topknot is put in in the morning and then I take it out at night, leaving just the front band to keep the hair out of her eyes. What products would you recommend? I currently only use a diluted detangling spray. :)

Dog show vendors, grooming trade shows (going to the Atlanta Pet Fair next weekend myself!) Cherrybrook.com or directly from Chris Christensen.

Where do you live? I could probably tell you what events are coming up in your area soon... I'm addicted to shows lol

I'm on Cape Cod, MA. I found the Ice on Ice on Amazon (lol) so I'll order that soon. If Jazzy wasn't spayed, I probably would be too :D thanks for all your help, we both appreciate it :)

x2 I am also a dog groomer. There are lots of great detanglers/products out there. Everyone seems to have their own favorite. Also, not all Shih Tzu's coats are created euqally despite them being purebred. I would look at what happpened with the parent's coats if you have access to that info.

Last edited:
x2 I am also a dog groomer. There are lots of great detanglers/products out there. Everyone seems to have their own favorite. Also, not all Shih Tzu's coats are created euqally despite them being purebred. I would look at what happpened with the parent's coats if you have access to that info.
Sadly, Jazzy was bred in Kansas and I'm in MA so I can't see her parents. I don't have pictures either, I will have to get some. Her hair is getting a little less cottony so I'm hoping her hair will become less cottony/frizzy when she gets older :) Also, For a shih tzu, do you reccomend a harness or a collar? I'm thinking of buying a soft harness because she has both a regular harness and a collar but she still chokes when she pulls. She's very good on the leash until we get to the local dog store LOL The only reason I'm concerned about the soft harness is mats. They need to invent a mat-proof harness somehow :p

Back
Top Bottom