Funny pecking order

Hei-hei

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
I inherited a small bantam flock that had been decimated by predators. So, there were Modern Game Bantams (3 Roos and and 2 hens) and One hen that is an OEG bantam mixed with a Cochin Bantam named Camilla. The little mix hen is at the top of the pecking order. I added two 5 month old Olive Eggers. They are so huge compared to Camilla. Yet she remains the queen of the coop.

Attachments

• 0DCA10F5-28F6-41DB-93BD-63EB1652BF12.jpeg
    0DCA10F5-28F6-41DB-93BD-63EB1652BF12.jpeg
    607.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I inherited a small bantam flock that had been decimated by predators. So, there were Modern Game Bantams (3 Roos and and 2 hens) and One hen that is an OEG bantam mixed with a Cochin Bantam named Camilla. The little mix hen is at the top of the pecking order. I added two 5 month old Olive Eggers. They are so huge compared to the Camilla. Yet she remains the queen of the coop.
Yeah, I find that stature is less of a determining factor than attitude. Sounds like she's got TONS of attitude!

Yeah, I find that stature is less of a determining factor than attitude. Sounds like she's got TONS of attitude!
Yeah, you never know who’s going to make it to the top. In my flock, the largest (a Dark Brahma) is the leader and she really is a big girl! She is my thumbnail picture on here. Anyway, it is very strange that she is the leader because she is easily the most gentle hen in the flock of 5. She doesn’t peck the others very much, unless they really get out of line. But she is a great protector and they all defer to her, except for the little one (Hei-Hei the RIR). She does submit when she has to but prefers to take what she wants and run away. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom