Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

Pics
Sounds like you have a great rooster!
While I went camping, I left my then ten chickens with my neighbors. A few days after I had left, a hawk came down and tried to attack them. The rooster herded the hens under the trailer that the coop was on, and then came out and attacked the hawk, pulling out a tail feather and scaring it away. I have only had a hawk take a chick once, and no other predator problems.

While I went camping, I left my then ten chickens with my neighbors. A few days after I had left, a hawk came down and tried to attack them. The rooster herded the hens under the trailer that the coop was on, and then came out and attacked the hawk, pulling out a tail feather and scaring it away. I have only had a hawk take a chick once, and no other predator problems.

WOW! That's one awesome rooster! :eek:

A few months ago I had went outside to see the hens and couldn't find my easter egger anywhere. I had looked all over and gave up thinking she got attacked by an animal. All a sudden I heard some noises. I looked over and saw her in the neighbor's yard in the bush! LOL!

A few months ago I had went outside to see the hens and couldn't find my easter egger anywhere. I had looked all over and gave up thinking she got attacked by an animal. All a sudden I heard some noises. I looked over and saw her in the neighbor's yard in the bush! LOL!
That's so funny!
big_smile.png

:gig that's hilarious!! Reminds me of the first time we stayed out late, and the chickens were still young. They were old enough to go outside, but not big enough to move out permanently, so they slept in the garage brooder. We can home and they were all sitting on the back of the porch swing. Misty was on top of it :rolleyes: but we couldn't find Sunshine anywhere! We searched the whole 5 acres, when my little brother walks out the door and was like, "guys, she in the tree!" :lau :lau :lau after that we had Blossom try to sleep on the roof!!! :rolleyes: :gig

One of my Silkie chicks is doing something weird...
gig.gif

I was watching bird videos while I had the Silkie chicks on my lap, one being a mother bird feeding her chicks... After that, whenever I look over that chick, it starts stretching it's head up and 'yawning' to show me it's empty beak, like the baby bird in the video did to it's mother for food.

None of the others are doing it, and the chick is completely healthy, eyes bright, is active and nose is clear, so it isn't a health thing, and it only does it when I lean over the brooder to look in it. I am so tempted to drop a mealworm in the beak when it does that, but am afraid of choking it. I'll just drop one in-front of besides it instead.
tongue.png

gig.gif
that's hilarious!! Reminds me of the first time we stayed out late, and the chickens were still young. They were old enough to go outside, but not big enough to move out permanently, so they slept in the garage brooder. We can home and they were all sitting on the back of the porch swing. Misty was on top of it
roll.png
but we couldn't find Sunshine anywhere! We searched the whole 5 acres, when my little brother walks out the door and was like, "guys, she in the tree!"
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
after that we had Blossom try to sleep on the roof!!!
roll.png
gig.gif
lau.gif
Hahahaha!!!
big_smile.png

One of my Silkie chicks is doing something weird...
gig.gif

I was watching bird videos while I had the Silkie chicks on my lap, one being a mother bird feeding her chicks... After that, whenever I look over that chick, it starts stretching it's head up and 'yawning' to show me it's empty beak, like the baby bird in the video did to it's mother for food.

None of the others are doing it, and the chick is completely healthy, eyes bright, is active and nose is clear, so it isn't a health thing, and it only does it when I lean over the brooder to look in it. I am so tempted to drop a mealworm in the beak when it does that, but am afraid of choking it. I'll just drop one in-front of besides it instead.
tongue.png
Aww! That's so cute! Good idea!
wink.png

One of my Silkie chicks is doing something weird... :gig

None of the others are doing it, and the chick is completely healthy, eyes bright, is active and nose is clear, so it isn't a health thing, and it only does it when I lean over the brooder to look in it. I am so tempted to drop a mealworm in the beak when it does that, but am afraid of choking it. I'll just drop one in-front of besides it instead. :p  

My babies do that sometimes too! Although I've been a bit more worried about it.... We had a nasty outbreak of what we THINK was Marek's last year, and all the birds that got it had an awfulk respiratory infection :( so it kinda freaks me out... But boy is it a relief to hear that you have a chick like that :lol:

Last edited:
So, I had chicks outside for a bit, and the rooster tried herding some of the chicks off with his wing dance despite them being a month old... And then starts pecking at the suspected rooster chick!
I didn't tolerate him pecking the chick, so as the chick ran to me for safety and he chased it, I stopped him... He stared me in the eyes, challenging me, so I poked him in the chest. He hopped back, but was still sizing me up and staring me in the eye, so I poked him again, this time a little harder. He hopped further back and continued to glare, before then wandering off. During the time outside, whenever I even caught him looking at the chicks or approaching, I stared him in the eye without saying a word, and he knew exactly what that meant and respected it, despite wanting to bully my baby boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom