Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

Pics
Oh don't put roosters on leashes like that. Especially one that is so protective of his hens. I have only seen ONE rooster that would attack people who were tyig to pick up a protesting hen, and he was an AWESOME rooster. Roosters are not pets. Humiliating them like that makes them mean
hmm.png
I only did it once and only for a minute, and he quickly got over it after I gave him and his mate some mealworms after taking the harness off him. He is a big marshmallow around people unless they mess with his mate, then he gets defensive and jumps, but otherwise he is slightly skittish, but a total softie and will take treats from your hand and still does.

He is a very spoiled rooster and I care about him greatly and try to keep stress and such to a minimum, I was just curious over how they took to the harness as some people walk their chickens. He had quickly calmed down with the harness on as the leash was long, letting him keep his distance from me as he wanted and keep close to his hen, but the harness itself bothered him causing him to go in reverse mode. So I took it off him. He wasn't running around panicking or anything, just calmly walking about at a distance he felt comfortable with and occasionally walking in reverse to try and get the harness off.

I only did it once and only for a minute, and he quickly got over it after I gave him and his mate some mealworms after taking the harness off him. He is a big marshmallow around people unless they mess with his mate, then he gets defensive and jumps, but otherwise he is slightly skittish, but a total softie and will take treats from your hand and still does.

He is a very spoiled rooster and I care about him greatly and try to keep stress and such to a minimum, I was just curious over how they took to the harness as some people walk their chickens. He had quickly calmed down with the harness on as the leash was long, letting him keep his distance from me as he wanted and keep close to his hen, but the harness itself bothered him causing him to go in reverse mode. So I took it off him. He wasn't running around panicking or anything, just calmly walking about at a distance he felt comfortable with and occasionally walking in reverse to try and get the harness off.

If only all roosters were like that. You've got yourself one awesome dude! :th

Okay, gotcha. That's what the hens did when we put saddles on them :lol:

And while were discussing leashes..... I want a Malay so I can leash train it and take it into Petco! :D

If only all roosters were like that. You've got yourself one awesome dude!
th.gif

Okay, gotcha. That's what the hens did when we put saddles on them
lol.png

And while were discussing leashes..... I want a Malay so I can leash train it and take it into Petco!
big_smile.png
Indeed. He is a Silkie rooster, which helps temperament wise, but I know I still got lucky on it.

Looked up Malay chickens... Are you sure they are chickens and not a living pair of legs? XD I would love to have a bunch, but I'd be scared that they'd fly away,

Indeed. He is a Silkie rooster, which helps temperament wise, but I know I still got lucky on it.

Looked up Malay chickens... Are you sure they are chickens and not a living pair of legs? XD I would love to have a bunch, but I'd be scared that they'd fly away,

Malays can't fly! Their wings are too small! I got one guy hooked on chickens with silkies and Malays. His plan was as follows:
Two Malays for his bodyguards
A silkies for his "evil pet" :lol:
And a serama to sit on his shoulder :gig
Can't remember what the Polish was gonna do... :lau

Malays can't fly! Their wings are too small! I got one guy hooked on chickens with silkies and Malays. His plan was as follows:
Two Malays for his bodyguards
A silkies for his "evil pet"
lol.png

And a serama to sit on his shoulder
gig.gif

Can't remember what the Polish was gonna do...
lau.gif
They look like they have a gamebird-like build, which made me think they could fly.
tongue.png

Chickens make good body guards for one's plants against pests. Sadly my Silkies have taken a liking to the taste of the strawberry leaves, so we fenced that part off. It seems chickens magnetize towards fences.

Also... My Silkie babies are getting annoyed with me. They have the most adorable little cotton-poof-tails ever, so I can't help but poke at them... And the chick spins around and lightly pecks at my finger in retaliation to the poof-tail poke.
gig.gif
I do restrain myself 99% of the time, but there are occasions I just cannot resist.

Me and the chicks also have little 'peck battles' where a chick pecks at me two times, I then poke it back 2 times, and it pecks at me again 2 times... It just keeps repeating until either of us gets bored of if I get called away to do something else, it also sometimes turns into a free for all where I get surrounded by all the chicks and they peck at me, so I poke at them all and 'run away' and they chase my hand. I then tickle them, which causes them to run making exited peeps, but when I stop and retreat my hand away, they run right back for more.

Edit: Well, I know for sure one of the silkie chicks is male. I put some cheese in and it started picking it up making loud peeps and dropping it. I thought it was struggling with it at first, but then realised that it was doing a baby food chuckle and giving the cheese to it's siblings.

Last edited:
O
And here's one for my Silly Lilly:
Silly Lilly
My Lilly girl is very silly,
Her beak is rather teeny,
Her muffs are grey,
Her feet are green,
And she'd rather hide from meanies.
My Lilly is an Easter hen,
But - despite her breed,
My Silly girl won't lay blue eggs,
She won't even lay green!
My Lilly can be rather timid,
She doesn't like to fight,
So if she wants to lay an egg,
She goes with Caroline!
I dearly love my Silly Lilly,
She is so very sweet,
And even if my Lil' was mean,
I still would call her Silly.

~ For my Silly Lilly,
the sweetest, silliest
Easter egger who ever lived.

I wish I could write that good!

This isn't really a story so much as sharing how happy my chickens make me. I've been letting them out of the coop for a bit while I tend to the bedding and such. Maybe for half an hour or so. The first time like six chicks came out with several others just sticking their heads out the door to look around. They're so silly! Then it was like a game. Look at me, I'm outside, now I'm back in. Out, then back in. Today most came out to eat bits of grass within a few feet of the door. Just a few cockerels dared to venture further but still not too far. They definitely know where home is. They spent about a week "cooped" up (haha) before I started letting them out. I knew they were getting antsy when they started rushing the door to look out when I opened it. I'm just so pleased at how well things are going. The run is nearly finished and the chicks are doing great! Ryan is still my favorite, she comes right up for her snuggles. Bruces' coloration is beautiful. Lemon Pepper is being a good boy. Also, speaking of coloration, we have this black australorp with white tips on the feathers of her breast. I thought BAs were solid black, but I don't mind because she's gorgeous!
I think I got it all out. I think this is my favorite thread to post in.
1f60d.png

Back
Top Bottom