Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens

Oh yay! :yesss:

When canary first started to go broody, she thought that slitting on my lap for 30 mi iutezs and pecking the tar put of my legs was co sidered a "dust bath" :lau

Last edited:
I got to thinking about my first flock this morning and started missing one chicken in particular. This isn't a story so much as just a memory of her. She was a leghorn named Chickenhawk who liked to ride on my shoulder while I did chores or hung out with the flock. She was such a sweet bird, especially for a leghorn. I can't wait to make more memories with these new chicks. I miss the whole shebang. The personalities, the silly things they do. Running cross the yard after a bug then playing chase and grab. Sitting in the grass surrounded by chickens.
Reading this thread feels like you all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Oh believe me, we do :highfive: :hugs

last year I lost so many of my favorite chickens in the evil Marek's outbreak. The one I regret the most was Tiger. Every time she saw me she would come running and beg me to sit down so she could sit on my lap. But most of the time I told her "go free range, ya silly!" And went back inside. I didn't give her nearly enough lap cuddles :hit
I am NOT making that mistake with Peaches and Reese's Pieces, a couple of the survivors. peach is the sweetest chicken ever, and Piecy just wants to be held :lol: :love

So far of the RIR pullets there's a big one who I think has a good shot at being the Queen. She's a little hard to differentiate from the others until she starts acting all queenish. She's the only one who stands up to Alpha-ish, the head cockerel who likes to try and run things. She likes to sit on the waterer and loves to be held. She gets this sweet look in her eyes when she snuggles in my hands. When I try to hold somebody else she comes right back like it's her turn again. I've gotta come up with a good name for her, and a way to tell her apart from the others aside from her behavior. She's got quite a large personality for such a small bird, it's surprising. She's just over 2 wks. Alpha-ish is a little older and I already want to wring his scrawny neck, he's such a turd.
Sorry, I just gotta talk about these darn chicks sometimes!
And yes, you gotta give them love when they so obviously love you. I'm a sucker that way.

XD chicks :rolleyes:
Okay, since I've posted pics of my new babies on pretty much every thread I'm subbed to, here is Freckles and Lucy, my two favorites so far :love

We had gotten into the habit of leaving the lids off of our brooder. It's 30" tall and there had only been one incident of a chick, Lemon Pepper the devil cockerel, coming anywhere close to the top. My nephew surmised we had at least 20 days (his words) until we had to keep the lids on because he didn't believe any of them capable of making it out. This is three days ago. Our chicks are between 4 and 5 weeks old.
Yesterday we were in the back of the barn, chicks located up front, when we are notified that a chicken made it out. I thought it must be Lemon Pepper, he's always causing problems. We went up there to find Bruce perched on the front lip of the brooder. We walked up and stood in front of him. He looked around as if to say he did it just so everybody, him included, knew that he could do it. Then he turned around and hopped back inside. We've made it a new habit to keep the lids on the brooder. Brucey. Smh

Last edited:
We had gotten into the habit of leaving the lids off of our brooder. It's 30" tall and there had only been one incident of a chick, Lemon Pepper the devil cockerel, coming anywhere close to the top. My nephew surmised we had at least 20 days (his words) until we had to keep the lids on because he didn't believe any of them capable of making it out. This is three days ago. Our chicks are between 4 and 5 weeks old.
Yesterday we were in the back of the barn, chicks located up front, when we are notified that a chicken made it out. I thought it must be Lemon Pepper, he's always causing problems. We went up there to find Bruce perched on the front lip of the brooder. We walked up and stood in front of him. He looked around as if to say he did it just so everybody, him included, knew that he could do it. Then he turned around and hopped back inside. We've made it a new habit to keep the lids on the brooder. Brucey. Smh

Haha! My babies are going to be escaping a lot here pretty quick :lol: Cocky Locky in particular. Crazy roo could get out easy Peasy if he wanted to, and he's only two weeks!!

Haaaaaay we have a chick named Bruce too! We'll, Bruce Wayne, but..... Same thing :p

We have two "red ladies" that we let out to free range a few hours in the evenings. When it starts getting dark, I'll say, "okay ladies, bedtime," and walk towards their house. It's so cute to watch their little fat butts waddle/run over, into their house, up the ladder and over to their perch. The entire time their making noises, like they're complaining or something. It cracks me up every time. I know the neighbors think I'm nuts because I talk to them and the 8 chicks that we recently bought. I have caught myself walking up to wherever they happen to be digging around and ask if they have found anything good.
big_smile.png

We have two "red ladies" that we let out to free range a few hours in the evenings.  When it starts getting dark, I'll say, "okay ladies, bedtime," and walk towards their house.  It's so cute to watch their little fat butts waddle/run over, into their house, up the ladder and over to their perch.  The entire time their making noises, like they're complaining or something.  It cracks me up every time.  I know the neighbors think I'm nuts because I talk to them and the 8 chicks that we recently bought.  I have caught myself walking up to wherever they happen to be digging around and ask if they have found anything good.:D

:gig chickens.... They probably are complaining XDXD.

Oh you aren't the only one, don't worry :lau :highfive: I have in depth conversations with my girls on a regular basis :lol:

Back
Top Bottom