furnace out!

duckidaho

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Howdy, our furnace went out and will be out for 3 days before it is completely replaced. Between heat lamp and ceramic heater in the room we are getting good heat, but it fluctuates throughout the day as the wind, sunshine, and outside temp changes. No fast temp swings, just everytime I check the room and the brooder it is a little different by 10 degrees. Chicks are 2 weeks old. Is that a problem?

They should be fine. Are they huddling? Bring your light closer to them, if they are all around the brooder, leave it alone, they are doing great!

Good luck on the furnace, atleast its closer to spring!

Wow, I bet you're stressed! I've had furnaces go out, too.

The chicks will probably be fine. How is their behavior? Are they huddling up or shivering at the low end of the temperature swings? Any loud peeping? Are they panting or holding their wings out at the high end of the temperature swings?

They are pretty tough critters, I just moved mine to a bigger brooder and used the same heat lamp, it was cooler than the smaller one, so I put a higher watt heat lamp bulb and now they are running all over the place. They did fine, huddled together but they are fine. They will be 2 weeks old on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom