fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
Oh, BR bantams! Those would be fun!

I do like Barred Rocks though I only have one left. I have some Dominiques and like them too, they have grown on me and rank up there with the BR's. A bit smaller than BR's and lay more of a medium egg, but they have a nice disposition that I enjoy.

I had some Dominiques. Excellent personality, but I needed large eggs instead of medium.

My favorite went to a home with kids -- perfect for my friendliest hen.

What I'm thinking is if I wind up with only 2 SS pullets, I'll keep a rooster and hope for some chicks next year.

If I get chicks from another bantam breed with a different colored egg I can at least know who laid it. The SS have off-white eggs, the BR have brown. I like the Dominiques but they are out of stock, no hatch dates listed on the sites I checked. I did sign up for notice if they get more hatches.

The hoop coop is 16'x8' = 128 sq feet. That should hold more than a few bantams.

I like the Dominiques but they are out of stock, no hatch dates listed on the sites I checked.

If bantam Dominiques have the same lovely personalities that the large fowl do they'd be really nice to have.

I sold my Dom girls because I'm focusing on the Blue Australorps, but they were my friendliest hens and good flock citizens.

If bantam Dominiques have the same lovely personalities that the large fowl do they'd be really nice to have.

I sold my Dom girls because I'm focusing on the Blue Australorps, but they were my friendliest hens and good flock citizens.
Cackle just emailed me, they have a bantam Dominique hatch due 4/12/23!!!

:eek:

Well...I did it. I ordered 5 Dominique bantam female chicks from Cackle. They are scheduled to ship on Wednesday, delivery Thursday-Saturday.
:wee

Guess I will be cleaning up the brooder tomorrow afternoon after work.
:th

I'm allergic to bleach. Do you think vinegar will be good enough?
:confused:

Well...I did it. I ordered 5 Dominique bantam female chicks from Cackle. They are scheduled to ship on Wednesday, delivery Thursday-Saturday.
:wee

Guess I will be cleaning up the brooder tomorrow afternoon after work.
:th

I'm allergic to bleach. Do you think vinegar will be good enough?
:confused:

Honestly?

I make no attempt to create a sterile environment in my brooder. I just either change out heavily-soiled bedding or add a fresh layer of either straw or shavings, knock the loose poops off the brooder plate (the hard, dried-stuck ones are not a problem since bacteria can't grow in fully-dried poop), and wash the waterers/feeders.

I only clean the entire thing out every 4-5 batches or if a waterer gets dumped so that it gets wet (may need a little more diligence this time because I have 22 from the Easter hatch).

As long as the bedding is good and dry I just keep layering in new shavings/straw.

I wash the feeders and waterers just like I do my own hand dishes -- hot water, detergent, and a good scrubbing.

Honestly?

I make no attempt to create a sterile environment in my brooder. I just either change out heavily-soiled bedding or add a fresh layer of either straw or shavings, knock the loose poops off the brooder plate (the hard, dried-stuck ones are not a problem since bacteria can't grow in fully-dried poop), and wash the waterers/feeders.

I only clean the entire thing out every 4-5 batches or if a waterer gets dumped so that it gets wet (may need a little more diligence this time because I have 22 from the Easter hatch).

As long as the bedding is good and dry I just keep layering in new shavings/straw.

I wash the feeders and waterers just like I do my own hand dishes -- hot water, detergent, and a good scrubbing.
Always be honest!

And thanks.
:cool:

Honestly?

Exactly! :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom