fuzzi's Chicken Journal

...I brought the compressed bag of peat moss closer to the new gardens, am thinking about going back outside to dig holes and work some into the new beds. :cool:
And...I did it...dug trenches, added peat moss, and covered them. I'll work it in another day.
IMG_20240406_154836778~2.jpg

Thinking about Martha's situation...if chicks hatch, there is a short drop from the nest box to the coop floor. I could add some fresh straw under the A-frame roost, waterer, Martha, chicks, and put a barrier in front.

I don't want to do anything to upset Martha or hurt chicks, but I also want to keep them safe.

Would it be better to move her before or after a hatch?
IMG_20240331_141915224~2.jpg

Thinking about Martha's situation...if chicks hatch, there is a short drop from the nest box to the coop floor.
Once 1 baby hatches, Martha probably won't leave the nest until she is satisfied all have hatched that are going to. Any babies that hatch will stay under Mom until she decides the eggs are finished. Even if this takes over a day.

Once Martha is satisfied all have hatched, she will take them to food and water.

I could add some fresh straw under the A-frame roost, waterer, Martha, chicks, and put a barrier in front.

I don't want to do anything to upset Martha or hurt chicks, but I also want to keep them safe.

Would it be better to move her before or after a hatch?
I've read about folks that did this before hatch and after. Really, you know Martha best. You are better able to decide this.

With my one experience hatching in the coop nest boxes, I let her hatch them right there. My nest boxes have a one foot drop to a wood floor covered thickly in pine shavings. When she went to move them she had 4 babies. She got 2 out and covered them on the floor. I came in and the other 2 in the nest box were trying to figure out how to jump. She was coaxing them on. I went ahead and moved them to a private area at that point. It was my very first hatch. I was a nervous Nelly! 😂

This is Mama Bird with 2 of that first hatch. She got her name because she was my first broody. I still have her. She is 11 years old and my oldest hen.
P1020762.JPG

Once 1 baby hatches, Martha probably won't leave the nest until she is satisfied all have hatched that are going to. Any babies that hatch will stay under Mom until she decides the eggs are finished. Even if this takes over a day.

Once Martha is satisfied all have hatched, she will take them to food and water.

I've read about folks that did this before hatch and after. Really, you know Martha best. You are better able to decide this.

With my one experience hatching in the coop nest boxes, I let her hatch them right there. My nest boxes have a one foot drop to a wood floor covered thickly in pine shavings. When she went to move them she had 4 babies. She got 2 out and covered them on the floor. I came in and the other 2 in the nest box were trying to figure out how to jump. She was coaxing them on. I went ahead and moved them to a private area at that point. It was my very first hatch. I was a nervous Nelly! 😂

This is Mama Bird with 2 of that first hatch. She got her name because she was my first broody. I still have her. She is 11 years old and my oldest hen.
View attachment 3793810
This is very helpful. Love the picture. :love

I think Martha is going to be a good momma, she has been steadfast in her brooding, especially after the first couple days. And no one bothers her, she's Martha, she's above the pecking order. When I reach under her to check on the eggs, she gives me a light peck on the hand, that's all.

I'm thinking that I will leave her be until (hopefully) the eggs hatch. Then move them under the A-frame when appropriate.

What's hard is if they hatch while I am at work I won't be there to help move chicks that might need to be moved.
:fl

And no one bothers her, she's Martha, she's above the pecking order.
This is good! She shouldn't have any problems.
I'm thinking that I will leave her be until (hopefully) the eggs hatch. Then move them under the A-frame when appropriate.
Since no one has bothered her, I think she'll be okay.
What's hard is if they hatch while I am at work I won't be there to help move chicks that might need to be moved.
:fl I've read about hens moving chicks under their wings and other odd ways. Nature is fascinating!

Day 20: Martha on the nest, stink of poo in the coop, which is unusual as it's so open to the air. I bent over to see how she was doing, greeted her with "Hello Martha, how are you doing? Any chicks, yet?" I slid my hand under her, felt eggs on my fingertips but went no farther.

She made little chirpy noises at me, but did not sound angry. She's not normally a talker.

Maybe she's appreciative of the tidbits I have been offering while she's on the nest. Who knows? :confused:

She probably will try to get them to come back up into the nesting box, but once she figures out they can't jump back into the nest, she'll come back down to them, puff up clucking and instructing chicks to follow along...she'll find herself another spot that she deems safe and comfy for her chicks.
I made steps.
IMG_20240407_130357940~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom