Gaah! Can't decide...

BriteChicken

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Huntsville, Alabama
on what Breeds to get I want at least two breeds coexisting.

My list is:
Great layers
Very Friendly/Calm
L/XL eggs
All must be able to live in an 8x8 Tractor (8x3 coop and 8x5 run)
And be semi-quiet chickens so they don't bother the neighbors...

So far I know I want at least one Red Sex-link and from there I'm blank..... Because I can only have three-four for now.

Anyone have any suggestions for the other 3?

I was seeking very similar qualities in birds. I chose buff orpington and speckled sussex.

Have Fun!

I don't know what size variance is for Opringtons and Sussex but I want to stay around the 5lb mark so no one gets bullied but I really like the idea of a mixed and colorful flock of pullets.

orps and sussex will be bigger than that. the orps will be biggest (8lb for hens) and the sussex somewhere in 7lb range. both are docile and the orps, despite their size, are often reported as "not" ruling the roost in mixed flocks.

My Black Australorp is a fairly small bird who lays 5-6 L/XL eggs a week and is a very quiet bird. She is very friendly and gets along great with the others and youngins that have been recently introduces to the flock. She actually takes them under her supervision. Every time I go out there all of the younger birds are huddled around her.
RIR are good birds as well, mine are quiet not as big and great layers and very friendly.
You will love the Buff Orpingtons. They are such sweet birds and are great mamma's.

Personality is different from bird to bird within a breed. My Buff Orpington is not as agressive as my Barred Rocks or my Rhode Island Reds, but she is loud. Oftentimes she will cackle loudly if someone else lays an egg. My Australorp is very pretty---black with a green sheen to her feathers, has a very sweet face, doesn't pick on anyone and is very quiet. Our other quiet birds are our Ameraucanas, and the Welsummer. They are very pretty, too. The eggs they lay are big enough, though maybe not always the L/XL that you are looking for.
This year's flock, we have Delawares, Wyandottes, Cuckoo Marans, and a Silkie, along with more Ameraucanas. I got most of them on their reputation for being calm, docile, friendly, etc. We'll see how they do, but, again, they may vary from the breed reputation. Hope you get the birds you want.

Dora's mom~

You got lucky with your quiet Welsummer. Mine are the noisiest birds I have. The roosters chime in with the girls when they are singing their egg song.......boy howdy sometimes I can't even be in the coop when they are singing, too loud, good thing I'm out in the middle of nowhere, if I lived in town I don't think that I would be able to have this breed. I can tell from anywhere on the property when the Wellies are getting ready to lay. This is one of the reasons I love them so much. Their egg songs are beautiful. Wish I could record the roo backing the girls up......what a hoot.

smile.png

I live in the middle of the city so quiet is on the top of my list Lol! and they have to produce a few eggs a week that I can bribe my neighbors with being under the radar like I am
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom