Game cams

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NickyPick, Apr 17, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    So, what is a good game cam to set out near the run or in the coop?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have a Moultrie MFH-CDC-501 that I bought from Cabela's that works fine. I suggest getting an extra SD card so you can swap them out and using your computer to look at the pictures--saves having to take the camera down and resetting it.

4. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have this one and it works pretty good
    Moultrie Gamespy 5 Megapixel Digital Infrared Game Camera

5. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    I have two different kinds, a Moultrie D40 IR and a Bushnell Trophy Cam. The Bushnell is small and easy to hide. The only thing I dont like about it is you cant look at the pics on a digital camera so I use my computer. And you have to erase the pics on the Bushnell or I just sometimes do it on the computer but I have to download all the pics first before it erases them. Its just easier to do it on the Cam. The Moultrie is easier. You just have to press the Mode button for 0 seconds and its ready to go.

Rammy

6. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    www.trailcampro.com is an excellent website to compare game cameras. they have downloadable excel spreadsheets comparing features of all cameras on the market. i bought the HCO scoutguard from them in 2008 and it has taken literally thousands of photographs for me over the years. it's set up on my coop right now. still going strong. like woodmort's advice; that having more than one sd card so that you can take one out, put one in and it never misses a beat.

[​IMG]

7. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a birthday coming up and I'm trying to decide on a couple of game cams (one or two for here and another for my land by the Sam Houston National Forest, just to see if anything goes on up there) or a security camera system for the barn area.

8. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    cptbahama does yours flash a light when taking a picture at night or is it infrared or something like that?

9. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    it is infrared. the one that has a standard camera flash (incandescent) is cheaper but the bright flash results in poor pictures. i've used both. not to mention the bright flash can alert thieves driving down the road late at night that you may have a pricey piece of equipment left unattended in your yard... the infrared flash is obviously invisible.

10. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    IR came cams give off a dull red light when they snap a pic. It is tolerated by animals where the other ones take a FLASH pic which spooks animals. It is amazing how much a flash stands out in a forest. The first game cam i bought was a flash and i still have it in the back pasture mostly to make predators uneasy about being there. It is over 100 yds away from the house and i can tell when it takes a pic. It is that obvious. IR is the way to go without a doubt. The flash game cams are a lot cheaper but stand out way more which makes them a target for theft. I and my hunt buddies have lost countless flash cams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by