Gander losing weight, pale beak

He is definitely pale in the face and the feet as well as underweight. I haven't followed the emergency thread, so obviously follow any advice given there. I'm not sure what their set-up is like, but I would move them to pasture during the day with only a scoop or two of grain/pellets and see if you can't get him more interested in eating some greens to put on some weight. If they have access to a kiddie pool, the next time you empty it you might try tossing a few handfuls of a frozen veggie mix with peas, carrots, corn, and green beans onto the surface of the water for him to bob for.

I haven’t updated because I haven’t had any news.

I took him to a vet I could afford on Friday, he had a physical exam and a fecal test. The vet is inexperienced with geese but said she couldn’t feel any masses or water retention, she checked his vent and throat and didn’t see anything abnormal. She thought his weight was fine which I found concerning because he is underweight.
He weighed in at 14.7 pounds.
I wanted a blood test done but after three requests for an estimate I was handed a hand written note that said it would be $500 “which I don’t have” and told that their printer wasn’t working.
When paying for the visit and fecal test at the front desk the girl there handed me a print off receipt. Hmmmm.

Parsnip and his dad have been moved to the garage since the last time I posted because it’s been snowing. So far he’s in good spirits and very active. He’s been living off of as much romaine, blueberries, grapes, and apples as he’s willing to eat, which is a lot. I’ve had no luck getting him to eat the all flock, and he hates peas and carrots. Picky big baby.

I have been concerned about fighting but he’s calmer with Leo than when he’s separated from him “he obsessively rattles and pushes on any barrier keeping him in for hours if he’s away from Leo” so there’s no easy way to get around it.
His fecal test just came back with negative results so I guess I’m back to square one.

Thank you @Miss Lydia & @DiYMama540 I’ll do as you suggested, I still want more testing done to see if he’s fighting anything but I’m probably going to have to take him to his brother’s vet if I can come up with the money, I tried a new one this time because I just can’t afford what they usually charged me “usually around $600 out the door” but considering the new one wants $500 for a test the other one charged $75 for it doesn’t make all that much difference other than that they’re more expierienced. I guess you do get what you pay for.

Good idea I hate your having to spend that kind of money and a lot of people would say your crazy for doing it. It's always up to you and we're supporting no matter what. I never thought my dh would agree to letting me take my little Indian Runner to the vet when a large bump came up on the bottom of her foot. It turned out to be bumble but nothing like I had ever seen. Just hope you can get him to eat his feed and get some weight on him. @Iain Utah also feeds her geese whole corn along with reg feed for winter. If you've never done this maybe try adding a small amount in with his reg feed to get him interested in eating. Hopefully she'll see this tag and say how she uses her corn for feeding her flock of geese ducks and chickens.

My 2 cents.... First, do not feed grapes. They contain low levels of arsenic, which birds cannot tolerate. Dark green veggies are better than fruits. Broccoli is a very good veggie to feed him.

Your grain mix seems good, but if you can get mazuri waterfowl maintenance, that is ideal. Birds love it, it provides complete nutrition, and it floats on water to encourage eating when first switching to it.

My normal feeding regime is 1/3 mazuri, 1/3 whole corn and 1/3 flockraiser. I double the corn amount in late fall/early winter. They also get grass hay when our pasture gets covered in snow.

Best of luck with your gander!!!

Back
Top Bottom