Gander more aggressive already?

flockman

Songster
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Northern Indiana
My pair of buffs are now 7 months old. Our pekin drake, who since sexual maturity has wanted to try and mate the geese. In the yard he would chase them some. Yesterday when he started to chase Natasha the goose, Boris took off after him and gave him a flogging. Today when someone came over Boris really started hissing. Normally they just chatter. It seems that in the last few days he has really become protective of Natasha. Is that normal for this time of year? In northern Indiana I was expecting this more at the end of January. Or is it that they are just becoming more bonded.

Ted

he is pre mating behavior, it will only get umm better
lau.gif
Just be aware that he has become a hormonal teen and they will rage more as you approach january right through the spring.

Keep the broom handy your gonna need it. When my gander is acting this way I carry the broom and put it between him and me. Also use a piece of pvc pipe to keep him at a distance.

Alright then. He at least does not his at me or show any signs of aggression with me or my 9 year old son. I will make sure that he is not out there alone now with the geese. I had already warned my son that this winter he would not be allowed out with the geese by himself and that Boris would be aggressive. Hopefully he is not too bad. Thanks for the advice. Before having geese all I remembered of them from childhood was my grandmother always carried a bucket on the farm because of the geese.
gig.gif
Now I may see why.

2 years ago I looked on a hatchery website and saw geese listed and I thought why would anyone have geese? Then I read and read and read and then could not wait to get some. Gotta love geese. I blame having geese and ducks on my chickens. They were the gateway drug.
lau.gif

Ted

Alright then. He at least does not his at me or show any signs of aggression with me or my 9 year old son. I will make sure that he is not out there alone now with the geese. I had already warned my son that this winter he would not be allowed out with the geese by himself and that Boris would be aggressive. Hopefully he is not too bad. Thanks for the advice. Before having geese all I remembered of them from childhood was my grandmother always carried a bucket on the farm because of the geese.
gig.gif
Now I may see why.

2 years ago I looked on a hatchery website and saw geese listed and I thought why would anyone have geese? Then I read and read and read and then could not wait to get some. Gotta love geese. I blame having geese and ducks on my chickens. They were the gateway drug.
lau.gif

Ted
lol.png
They are addicting and even when hormones are running rampant their still endearing.

Just remember to ALWAYS make sure they know people are the flock ALPHAS. Their are some excellent techniques in this thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Yes read that before even getting geese. Taught my children and wife. My wife and daughters were intimidated of the geese once they got bigger. So My son and I are the only ones that take care of them. I did not want the geese to start bluffing and get the feeling of success. The geese know who is alpha in the flock. While geese are new animals/livestock are not. I grew up with an dog/animal trainer. My parents use to have lots of livestock, horses, donkeys, pigs, rabbits, goats, chickens. We also had animals that people wanted trained, parrots, pot-bellied pig, horses, etc. I would not even consider Boris aggressive. He has just become protective of Natasha when he hadn't been before. We are preparing for the hormones to really rage soon. Thank you for all of the advice. I appreciate it.

Not wanting to steal your thread, but I have a pair of Sebastopoles and a pair of American Blue Buffs, and the Sebastapole gander has gotten so nasty in the last two weeks. He has "stolen" the blue goose and chases the Blue gander away from everything, food, water, the pool.. I finally just put the pairs in separate pens and only let one pair out to free range at a time. I thought the mating behavior would at least wait until spring! Its not even winter yet...??

their hormones rise this time of the year. You will see some random mating, with it increasing as you approach January. Here in FL come January I will have eggs, those farther north reported eggs in February and March this year.Plan to keep them in separate breeding yards now into June next year to avoid the fights.

Back
Top Bottom