Gander mounting ducks

Lamaremybabies

Crowing
Nov 2, 2015
New England
I got a three month old pilgrim gander a few months back to protect and accompany my four pekin ducks after my drake was taken because they were acting depressed. Anyways, my gander is super sweet and loveeees the ducks and they obviously like him but... he has started trying to mate with them. Is this at all going to hurt the girls? I'm fine with getting a couple female geese for him, but nobody in my area has any this time of year. Thanks for the help!

So, you definitely do need more geese. A goose should never be kept alone with no other geese. They are very social animals and they need to have at least one friend of their own kind.

As to whether he could hurt them, yes, he could. Luckily their anatomy as far as mating is very similar, so he probably wouldn't hurt them in that regard, but he will be much larger than them when fully grown and it's very possible he could hurt them with his size alone, or accidentally drown them when trying to mate with them in water, etc.

So, you definitely do need more geese. A goose should never be kept alone with no other geese. They are very social animals and they need to have at least one friend of their own kind.

As to whether he could hurt them, yes, he could. Luckily their anatomy as far as mating is very similar, so he probably wouldn't hurt them in that regard, but he will be much larger than them when fully grown and it's very possible he could hurt them with his size alone, or accidentally drown them when trying to mate with them in water, etc.

Okay, thanks!

I do know that many people have and do keep a single goose in their flock without issues because, they bond with the other animals in the flock. Which he has, him and my pekin girls loveee each other. That's being said if you believe and other people agree that he needs a goose mate, I will get him one as soon as I can find someone who has one.

Okay, thanks!

I do know that many people have and do keep a single goose in their flock without issues because, they bond with the other animals in the flock. Which he has, him and my pekin girls loveee each other. That's being said if you believe and other people agree that he needs a goose mate, I will get him one as soon as I can find someone who has one.

They hang around with other birds, but they aren't really happy. Trust me, I had a lone goose for awhile, since her mate died in transit to me when they were goslings. She is much, much happier now that she has other geese and they are an inseparable flock.

Think of it this way, it would be like you living with chimpanzees. Are they fairly similar to you? Yes. If you had no other humans for company would you probably hang out with them for companionship? Again, yes. But would you be happy living with creatures that didn't speak your language, couldn't become your mate, etc? Not really.

They hang around with other birds, but they aren't really happy. Trust me, I had a lone goose for awhile, since her mate died in transit to me when they were goslings. She is much, much happier now that she has other geese and they are an inseparable flock.

Think of it this way, it would be like you living with chimpanzees. Are they fairly similar to you? Yes. If you had no other humans for company would you probably hang out with them for companionship? Again, yes. But would you be happy living with creatures that didn't speak your language, couldn't become your mate, etc? Not really.

That's a fair point. Like I said, as soon as I'm able to I will get him a mate or two.

I got a three month old pilgrim gander a few months back to protect and accompany my four pekin ducks after my drake was taken because they were acting depressed. Anyways, my gander is super sweet and loveeees the ducks and they obviously like him but... he has started trying to mate with them. Is this at all going to hurt the girls? I'm fine with getting a couple female geese for him, but nobody in my area has any this time of year. Thanks for the help!
Your gander does need his own female goose but mating your pekins will not harm them. My gander[Embden] was hatched by a Muscovy and lived with only Muscovy for 5 yrs before I brought him home a female goose and he mated with the ducks all that time. He never hurt them and they were very willing. Pekins are larger sturdier ducks like the Muscovy's if it was a smaller breed like my Runners I'd be worried since they are so light.
Always give them access to water which makes it a lot easier for mating for the girls.

Your gander does need his own female goose but mating your pekins will not harm them. My gander[Embden] was hatched by a Muscovy and lived with only Muscovy for 5 yrs before I brought him home a female goose and he mated with the ducks all that time. He never hurt them and they were very willing. Pekins are larger sturdier ducks like the Muscovy's if it was a smaller breed like my Runners I'd be worried since they are so light.
Always give them access to water which makes it a lot easier for mating for the girls.

Okay, thank you!

They have a few pools and a stream so water isn't a concern. I'll get him a goose in spring, as that's the only time geese are available in my area. My ducks haven't shown any signs of destress when mounted, in fact they stretch out for him and do they're courting dance.

Back
Top Bottom