Gape Worms

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Has anyone on here had experience with Gape worms?
I think my gray japanese bantam hen has them.
What do I do if I don't have the treatment with me now? I dont want to loose her.
(Thanks EGH for the info)

wink.png

Okay. I was looking treatment up on the internet, and found that you can give them Ivermectin...:

Ivermectin is a drug often used to control gapeworm infection in birds.

So I gave her a tiny dose of it.
Hopefully it'll help.​

Do you have an VETRX? put some drops down her throat. You will need to worm her tomorrow with Ivermectin.

Be careful with the dose of Ivermectin! Its pretty potent stuff and I've read that some serious (deadly) things can happen to your animals if you use to much. I use Ivermectin for my rabbits also.

Ivermectin is really really thick so you need to use a larger needle. I tried using a 25g and it wouldn't draw. I ended up using a 20g and it worked fine. Just give it under the skin on the back of the neck.

I got mine from the local feed store with the cattle meds.

Heres a link for you that might or might not be helpful

http://www.upc-online.org/chickens/propercare.htm

Ivermectin, injectable, 2 cc's mixed in One Gallon of
water, for 3 days. Then again in 2 weeks. This gets rid of all critters and worms!!

I have given my chickens and ducks Ivermectin several times over the years. I NEVER give it by injection. Although it says it on the bottle, you are quite safe ( I work for a vet) to give it by mouth. We are using it "off label" so the dosage and method of delivery is not provided by the manufacturer. For a full sized chicken, I give 2 drops (from a 3 cc syringe) and for the bantams, I use 1 drop. I do not use the eggs for 2 weeks after medicating. Having said that, I do repeat the dose after 2 weeks so I am without eggs for a total of 4 weeks. I have never had any problems using it this way. The wildlife rehabber that I work with also uses it this way. Hope this helps. Carolyn

xke4 - Are you giving these drops of Ivermectin diluted in a certain amount of water? or directly into the mouth via dropper?

Back
Top Bottom