Garden thread

Pics
You can use the plastic lids. Not sure why they would say to use the Saran Wrap unless you don't have the lids.

Just keep an eye on the lids, when they start condensating it makes it harder for the light to get to the plants, so just knock the water off the lid every now and then.
good advice! thank you! Should I leave the lids on until the plants get too tall for them or take them off as soon as the plants come through the soil?

good advice! thank you! Should I leave the lids on until the plants get too tall for them or take them off as soon as the plants come through the soil?
Leave them until the plants are in danger of bumping the top. You don't want them to actually hit the lid, but as long as they have room they will enjoy the little greenhouse that having the lid gives them.

Leave them until the plants are in danger of bumping the top. You don't want them to actually hit the lid, but as long as they have room they will enjoy the little greenhouse that having the lid gives them.

I actually disagree. Depends on your climate and how much you're watering. If you live in a wet climate or have a humid room for your plants, get the lid off as soon as most of the seeds are out of the ground. That will prevent mold, algae, moss, or fungi from growing. Those things can cause baby plants to die awfully fast.
If you live in a dryer climate or have a dryer plant starting space leave the lid on as long as they're not hitting the top.

My plants get started in the basement where it's humid and if I leave the lid on they all die, they never reach the top of the greenhouse-y dome.

I actually disagree. Depends on your climate and how much you're watering. If you live in a wet climate or have a humid room for your plants, get the lid off as soon as most of the seeds are out of the ground. That will prevent mold, algae, moss, or fungi from growing. Those things can cause baby plants to die awfully fast.
If you live in a dryer climate or have a dryer plant starting space leave the lid on as long as they're not hitting the top.

My plants get started in the basement where it's humid and if I leave the lid on they all die, they never reach the top of the greenhouse-y dome.
Good point. Mine are started in the house so the poor things get wilty after a few hours when they are super young. They enjoy being in the nice hot humid container with a root warming mat.

Since there's some new folks starting out figured I'd post my grow stand as I don't recall doing so before. Not much to see as half the pods have already been cleared out. Top shelf is the super slow stuff like peppers and eggplant. Bottom shelf is basil, celery and feverfew that was recently transplanted to 4" pots.
garden2020-1.jpg

Tomato starts from seed (seeded same time as all the other plants above) - they grow fast so they're already in half quart and quart pots. Waiting in an unused greenhouse for warmer weather.
garden2020-3.jpg

Peas I direct seed. Already coming along nicely. Can't see it in photo yet, but carrot seeds are also sprouting there.
garden2020-4.jpg

Some of last year's lacinato kale (and collards in background) that still hasn't been pulled. It always gets monstrous by the time I yank it. I eat this almost daily throughout winter. The chickens enjoy the flowering buds.
garden2020-2.jpg

Thank you for your feedback! My house is at 51% humidity right now, what would you suggest? Is that on the high or low end?

Since there's some new folks starting out figured I'd post my grow stand as I don't recall doing so before. Not much to see as half the pods have already been cleared out. Top shelf is the super slow stuff like peppers and eggplant. Bottom shelf is basil, celery and feverfew that was recently transplanted to 4" pots.
View attachment 2064399

Tomato starts from seed (seeded same time as all the other plants above) - they grow fast so they're already in half quart and quart pots. Waiting in an unused greenhouse for warmer weather.
View attachment 2064401

Peas I direct seed. Already coming along nicely. Can't see it in photo yet, but carrot seeds are also sprouting there.
View attachment 2064402

Some of last year's lacinato kale (and collards in background) that still hasn't been pulled. It always gets monstrous by the time I yank it. I eat this almost daily throughout winter. The chickens enjoy the flowering buds.
View attachment 2064400
Love that grow stand! I can already foresee myself growing out of my one grow light very quickly!

Back
Top Bottom