Garden thread

Pics
Where I live it is still WAY to early to plant my outdoor garden. Right now I am growing radishes and garlic inside, but I am also planting flowers! (I guess it's not to early for them.....)

So far, so good. Harvested yellow squash, zucchini and cucumbers today. Tomatoes are still green, but growing, and eggplant starting to flower.

Wow nice squash already! I sure appreciate living in a cooler climate but downside is it takes forever to get the veggies going.

I can start harvesting some arugula later this week I think, and that's... about it.

So far, so good. Harvested yellow squash, zucchini and cucumbers today. Tomatoes are still green, but growing, and eggplant starting to flower. So far I’ve been able to control the squash bugs, vine borers and stink bugs, but as it gets hotter I lose my enthusiasm
View attachment 2122623
How do you control those bugs listed? I always struggle with them? Can you share some of your tips?

Ha! I’ve never been able to control them either. Since I’m home a lot now, I’ve been stalking the garden throughout the day. I just happened to be out there when 3 squash vine borers came by and I squirted them with Neem oil then stomped them. I still don’t know if they had already laid their eggs or not. The squash bugs have been few so far and those I knock off into a container of soapy water after spraying them with neem. i also constantly check the undersides of the leaves for eggs and get them off. For that I use a piece of gorilla or duck tape wrapped around my hand, sticky side out. The eggs stick to the tape and come right off without injuring the leaf. Im using Bt on the caterpillars. Trying to stay organic, but I will resort to chemicals if necessary as it’s been a couple of years since I’ve had a good crop. Good luck and if you find out some other tips, please post them!

Freakish hailstorm late yesterday afternoon and now it's repeating itself. Yesterday we had lightning and thunder too which is rare here. I got tomatoes, basil and calendula planted yesterday and cleaned up the yard some. Don't know how much I'll get done today.

Back
Top Bottom