Garden thread

Pics
I've been planning on this for 30+ yrs now. Gonna do it myself, scrounged and hoarder stuff that might be good. Everytime I'd get the fundage saved up, a kid would need something lol. Or, hubs lost his job to MX. Or, I got sick. So, we decided to just buy one as I've aged out of doing it myself lol.
14 x14 is coop. 16x14 is greenhouse.

I've been planning on this for 30+ yrs now. Gonna do it myself, scrounged and hoarder stuff that might be good. Everytime I'd get the fundage saved up, a kid would need something lol. Or, hubs lost his job to MX. Or, I got sick. So, we decided to just buy one as I've aged out of doing it myself lol.

:thumbsup

So cool!!! Can’t wait to watch your build unfold

Rohrer seeds out in Lancaster Pa (smoketown actually) has a good variety or heirloom seeds. They do printed catalogs as well as online orders.

I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

Anyone with a greenhouse? My gh/coop just got set

That'll be a pretty nice set up there. I currently have a small greenhouse next to a shed, but it's one of those terrible cheap prefab greenhouses and I only use it for dried leaf storage (for run litter). So I do my seedling sprouting inside the house. We want to get both the shed and greenhouse demolished and then I'd like to have a new greenhouse built into a new shed structure.

I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

That'll be a pretty nice set up there. I currently have a small greenhouse next to a shed, but it's one of those terrible cheap prefab greenhouses and I only use it for dried leaf storage (for run litter). So I do my seedling sprouting inside the house. We want to get both the shed and greenhouse demolished and then I'd like to have a new greenhouse built into a new shed structure.

Well, if you are any where near a Mennonite or Amish community, mine is Mennonite built. Young man got a big kick out of talking to me about it cause I had all the angles figured, took him a pretty good line drawing, have stuff hoarded to go in. Reasonable pricing too.

Coming in late, but just got my first seed order of the year from Baker Creek's catalog, so getting ready to set up my grow light in the next week or so. Anyone have any other online seed catalogs they like, that specialize in heirloom/non GMO seeds?

High Mowing. They're my go-to for ordering seeds. 100% non GMO seeds, mostly heirloom.

Wherever you order from be careful that you know what you're ordering and what if any seed laws protect what you plant. This has come into more public knowledge recently with the "cosmic crisp" apples making big headlines about only being able to be grown in Washington by certified growers, but when a new variety of plant is made, even if it's open-pollinated, there are certain patent laws that can restrict who can save seeds and clones to basically reward the person who developed the variety.
Many hybrids are especially proprietary but open pollinated plants can be too. Not relevant if you're just saving for your own garden but maybe trouble if you're doing seed swaps or something. High Mowing recently started carrying some of these and lists these clearly in their catalog. If you're buying a non heirloom variety consider double checking if it's got an OSSI patent (free to use), utility patent (can't save seeds or breed with) or plant variety patent (can't commercialize, can save seeds and breed with). Not every company carries patented plants. Not every company mentions they carry patented plants. So do your own research.

High Mowing. They're my go-to for ordering seeds. 100% non GMO seeds, mostly heirloom.

Wherever you order from be careful that you know what you're ordering and what if any seed laws protect what you plant.

Thanks for the site recommendation, checking it out now.

Interesting! I didn't know about the restrictions on saving seed (though I've seen a plant propagation one before on flowering plants). Mostly too lazy to save seeds here... I do easy ones like nasturtium but skip things like tomatoes as I don't want randomly crossbred seeds. I don't seed trade either. Most I've done is gifted a couple of extra tomato starts to my mother in law, along with buckets of chicken poop :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom