Garden thread

Pics
Hey friends! I stopped getting notifications for this thread and almost forgot about it! Almost. But I'm back now so we're good. ;)

My house has started (indoors) few herbs and some basil. Sort of bored. I can't wait until spring! Is anybody planting outside yet?
I'm planting outside, had a very mild first half of winter. Looks like the second half will be just as mild.

Hi all,

Haven't done much in the garden but water. The grass in the frame is coming along nicely. Still waiting for flowers, herbs and veg to sprout. The carrot tops are getting tall and the mustard is still producing. Might need to add some soil to the taters this weekend. I divided some ginger root this morning, will get that planted Thursday.

Yesterday I had a coupon for TSC. I get those regularly but rarely at a time when I can use them. But this time I could, so I took a bit of my feed budget money saved from that and dropped it into sunflower seeds to sprout for the hens. I haven't had a lot of luck with most fodders because of mold but the sunflower seeds do better because of their large size. So that should give me some rapid results and some greens for the critters and my soul.

I would follow this thread. Use to have a garden but I just could not keep the weeds under control. My neighbor has a nice garden not a weed in site and he goes away on vacation for a week and it still stays clean. Unfortunately he will not share his secret, just smiles and says he does not plant weeds. LOL
There is a product that you can put in your soil that will stop all seeds from germinating but doesn't bother anything that is actually growing already. If he doesn't direct seed, there is a good chance he has that in his beds to keep the weed seeds from growing.

I am thinking about trying to grow some stuff this year, I don't really have anywhere to sprout, so I'll be getting stuff from walmart or lowes once they have the babys in stock. Will probably do a few tomatoes and some peppers, likely jalapenos and bell peppers.

I want to try to grow them in sandbags as we have some we aren't using. I use sawdust pellets for kitty litter and have a lot of sawdust with urine on them (urine is a good source of nitrogen) that I want to put in the bottom of the bags and then potting soil in the tops, so the plants can put their roots into the sawdust when they are ready to.

I also have an idea for a watering system using aquarium air line tubing and air regulators, I could run a tube to each bag and have them have a constant drip of water and the ability to adjust each one as needed.

Back
Top Bottom