Garden thread

Pics
I was told by a few people to be careful about using wood ash in the garden. Nitrogen and other nutrient issues being the largest reasons why if I remember correctly.
Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind and do a little more research on it. Thanks for the feedback!
If your soil could constantly use some lime like mine, then adding ash isn't an issue as when you get ash wet you get lye which is very caustic and acts as a fast acting "lime" on the soil. If your soil is on the base side and needs help with acid, I wouldn't.

When the pH is wrong it ties up nutrients up in strange ways, so as long as you aren't messing up the pH with the ash it should be fine as long as you don't just smother the garden with it.

Hi everyone. We had an inch of rain Monday night and it took me a few days to get out to the garden afterward. I pulled a rather large weed growing next to the rosemary and it smelled like rosemary. No artichokes have started to bloom yet, but there's cilantro, dill, basil, nasturtiums and a crookneck squash that have sprouted. I'm hoping the forget me nots will sprout soon too. Have a great day all!

Another rainy day here, so no outside work. All of my seeds have sprouted though and are growing well. Hopefully it will be sunny and warm soon so they can start spending the days outside. I‘m running out of room under the lights inside!

Snow is slowly on the way out.
My thyme is coming up and the oregano but not the parsley it celery yet. Today I planted hot peppers and a few flowers. Next week is the big one - bell peppers, tomatoes and basil. I like to do the hot peppers a week early cause they seem to come up more slowly than the bells.

Finally have a dry-ish week in the forecast.

My tomatoes have already been moved out of the starter pod to 4"+ pots under the grow lights. I think I started them too early this year, so hopefully they'll take an earlier-than-usual transplant time too (I have backups for each plant in case something happens to the first).

We're still getting morning frosts but I checked my seeded veggie bed today (seeded it at end of January) and I saw a few turnip, radish and bok choy starting to sprout! Still eating my way through kale, collards and chard from last season.

I was surprising with the weather yesterday. They had called for rain and it was mostly dry all day and a quick scattered shower or two that passed quickly in the evening. Temps didn't drop below 40 last night but winds have increased. Thursday and Friday are cold but then it warms up for the weekend. Just happy for the bit of dry weather to let the soaked mud dry out a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom