Garlic As Worm Treatment/Preventative

I just read a piece that promotes garlic as a natural way to treat and prevent worms in chickens. Supposedly just by placing a few garlic cloves in the drinking water will release sulfur and something else that I can't remember now. This is supposed to take care of the worms and help to prevent them in the first place.

Has anyone had any experience with this method of worm treatment?
Prevention it is helpful. Treat I am not sure.

You think you’re funny?
You won’t be laughing when your birds die from worms and all you did was stuff ‘em full of seasonings.
Good luck.
There are real, proven medicines that prevent and treat worms. Much better and faster than the stuff I put in my pasta sauces.
Just because you fancy yourself as someone who does things au naturel…doesn’t mean it’s worth risking your birds.

Most of the information I received today, more or less, said that it is best to put your efforts into prevention so the birds don't get the parasites and diseases in the first place. Like you said, diet, exercise, shelter and so on. One thing that did surprise me in regards to bio security was that free ranging and deep litter bedding were major no-no's.

I'm starting with the bio security end of things first I think.

Last edited:
I know someone that uses garlic to deworm her chickens and also gives it to them to prevent worms. I don't know if it actually works, it might help keep them healthier though :confused:
Garlic does help with worms in goats but I don't know about chickens. 😅
Dogs to, its also an immune booster, and anything like that is always helpful to help the animal expel worms, and keep them from getting them. I think its helpful at least for that.

Prevention is the key factor in controlling parasites and the way to eliminate them is with chemical medications. I think everyone contributing to this thread is in agreement on that issue.

What I'm wondering is if there might be something else that might help in preventing parasites in chickens. Since there is no scientific evidence available I would like to hear all the anecdotal evidence from everyday chicken people. I, for one find it interesting.

Anecdotal evidence for preventing/controlling worms in horses: When I owned horses and was actively participating in activities that put my horses in direct contact with other horses I gave them tobacco. I did this for years with many horses and never had a one that developed a worm load so bad that I had to use chemical medications to eliminate them. My horses got two crumbled up cigarettes, minus the filters, the first of every month in their feed.

I can't prove this and some people will swoon in disgust that I would do such a thing to a horse but it worked and worked well.

It is examples like this that I'm looking for. Not trying to prove that herbs work better .....

Prevention is the key factor in controlling parasites and the way to eliminate them is with chemical medications. I think everyone contributing to this thread is in agreement on that issue.

What I'm wondering is if there might be something else that might help in preventing parasites in chickens. Since there is no scientific evidence available I would like to hear all the anecdotal evidence from everyday chicken people. I, for one find it interesting.

Anecdotal evidence for preventing/controlling worms in horses: When I owned horses and was actively participating in activities that put my horses in direct contact with other horses I gave them tobacco. I did this for years with many horses and never had a one that developed a worm load so bad that I had to use chemical medications to eliminate them. My horses got two crumbled up cigarettes, minus the filters, the first of every month in their feed.

I can't prove this and some people will swoon in disgust that I would do such a thing to a horse but it worked and worked well.

It is examples like this that I'm looking for. Not trying to prove that herbs work better .....
I find this super interesting. I've heard a lot of old cowboy folk swear by tobacco for horses. Never gave it much thought though.

I feel like whatever people use as a natural prevention seems like a waste of time and effort. Chickens will be Chickens, they eat soo many random things, they don't know it will hurt them down the road.

So monitoring there behavior and checking there poop daily is the best measure to help them recover.
I mostly agree with you here .... Again prevention is better than having to treat them in the first place. This is where I'm starting to really understand the idea of bio-security. Among other things you help the chicken not to ingest bad things by not letting bad things into their environment.

I see posts about not using DE, Why? Newbie here?
I read several similar posts & even got banned from a FB group over our recipe for dust baths that includes DE. Our flock is healthy no mites or fleas. They forage in a .25 acre yard that is also a postage stamp fruit orchard. We add granulated garlic to their fermented feed and the first week of the month add ACV to the water. Healthy animals, so far no worm or other infestation issues.

I read on a thread here somewhere that a mix of rosemary, oregano, and thyme is great for respiratory, parasite, and gut health. 🤷🏼‍♀️ We had a sick chicken last year and I gave them that sparingly with some cooked brown rice and lentils she perked right up after a few days. She did end up dying about 3 months later (no, I didn't feed the mix to them regularly after she recovered) but she was always sort of weaker of constitution than the others. I'm still not sure if the herbs did anything or if they just made the food appetizing enough for her to want to eat. Either way, I give them a small mix of the herbs and other treats occasionally for variety and they're happy.

As for the the thought that food for humans is good for chickens, or any other animals, is bs. There is a reason we shouldn't let our cats eat garlic or onions, why pure chocolate is toxic to most animals, and why pregnant women should avoid hibiscus and large quantities of other herbs. Adult humans are larger and our digestive systems are different in many key ways than all domesticated animals and even small children.

DE in the litter and feed has worked well as a preventative for 16 years. I've seen worms once in all that time and that was after slacking off on the coop cleaning routine. I used a commercially available dewormer to take care of that quickly. All our other livestock get routine doses of dewormer. I've known people to watch their flocks or herds slowly die as they tried to treat an active case of worms with all-natural methods.

Back
Top Bottom