Gasping for air! Both me and the hen!

Learn-as-we-go

Hatching
Oct 7, 2023
Hey all! Figured on if the best places for chicken advice before I spend too much money would be here.

Got a 3 ish year old hen, who last night when I went to close up the coop, was gasping for air and not resting on her perch.

Today her breathing has got better but is definitely still gasping. Haven’t seen her eat or drink anything unless I’ve given her water with a spoon.

Separated her from the flock, given her a little vitamin boost but really am stuck as to what could be causing this poor girl such a horrible issue.

What other symptoms do you see? Is she pooping and if so what does it look like? Are her eyes/nostrils clear? What overall condition is she in aside from gasping? And when you say gasping is it full head tilted back, beak wide open, or is it more of a deep rasping breath?
Also have you checked her for lice/mites?

Welcome to BYC.
How long have you had her?
Have you brought any other new to you birds home recently?

What exactly do you feed your flock on a daily basis?

What other symptoms do you see? Is she pooping and if so what does it look like? Are her eyes/nostrils clear? What overall condition is she in aside from gasping? And when you say gasping is it full head tilted back, beak wide open, or is it more of a deep rasping breath?
Also have you checked her for lice/mites?
Her poop is white and runny.

Eyes and nostrils are fine. It is a head raise when she inhales quite raspy yes.

We did have some lice/mite a couple of months ago but she didn’t show any signs of being infested.

She has picked up a little since I’ve moved her to grass and has now had a drink on her own accord.

Welcome to BYC.
How long have you had her?
Have you brought any other new to you birds home recently?

What exactly do you feed your flock on a daily basis?
Thank you!

She was one of our first hens so will be around 3/4 years old. No new birds other than turkeys around a month ago.

We do a mix of layer pellets, wheat and dried soldier fly larvae as a ‘treat’

Her poop is white and runny.

Eyes and nostrils are fine. It is a head raise when she inhales quite raspy yes.

We did have some lice/mite a couple of months ago but she didn’t show any signs of being infested.

She has picked up a little since I’ve moved her to grass and has now had a drink on her own accord.
Prepare yourself this does not sound good.

She could have a respiratory disease that needs antibiotics.

She could also be suffering from an infection brewing in her lady parts which is causing her to have trouble breathing. These type of infections are not usually curable.

Is a vet visit an option?

Prepare yourself this does not sound good.

She could have a respiratory disease that needs antibiotics.

She could also be suffering from an infection brewing in her lady parts which is causing her to have trouble breathing. These type of infections are not usually curable.

Is a vet visit an option?
This is what I’ve seen online whilst doing some research 😔

Poor girl.

Thank you!

She was one of our first hens so will be around 3/4 years old. No new birds other than turkeys around a month ago.

We do a mix of layer pellets, wheat and dried soldier fly larvae as a ‘treat’
Feeding daily treats can lead to the "lady part type" infections.

I would stop mixing these things immediately and only feed a layer type crumble or pelleted type feed from now on,

When was the last time she laid an egg?

Back
Top Bottom