Gearing up for Christmas hatch! Who wants to join and plan with me?

I'm in. I have banty buckeye egss and hopefully a few LF Buckeye eggs from my flock, I won some Buff Orpington and Ameraucana on ebay. They should get here in time. I currently have 4 bantam buckeye eggs in the bator now, due on 12/12. That is my first hatch.

Can we somehow lock one of the Christmas threads and make just one? I am too old to handle posting twice. Could one of them become the OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HATCH thread?
idunno.gif

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Wow, only 5 out of 24 made it? That's rough. I am hatching today... a surprise, to say the least. I had eggs doing well in the incubator, and foolishly decided to let a new broody sit on them. I moved her, and she got off the nest then! I put them back in the bator (cold). I have 3 out and see another 3 pips. These are eggs from Michelle (Ladysassa07). Here are pictures she sent me, from the pen they come from..

42758_100_7485.jpg

42758_100_7484.jpg

42758_100_7489.jpg

42758_100_7488.jpg

Cleaned and sanatized my Sportsman 1250, racks all bleached, auto humidity system flushed with vinegar and rinsed, filled with 5gls. of demineralized water, wicks for my "wet bulb thermo" soaked in vinegar, then rinsed, automatic float system checked and cleaned with vinegar, plugged in and at temperature.............
80+ eggs for the Christmas hatch to be placed @ 5:00 A.M. tomorrow! 36 to be set on the 11th. for New Years Hatch!
Picture of loaded trays to follow.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, only 5 out of 24 made it? That's rough. I am hatching today... a surprise, to say the least. I had eggs doing well in the incubator, and foolishly decided to let a new broody sit on them. I moved her, and she got off the nest then! I put them back in the bator (cold). I have 3 out and see another 3 pips. These are eggs from Michelle (Ladysassa07). Here are pictures she sent me, from the pen they come from..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42758_100_7485.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42758_100_7484.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42758_100_7489.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42758_100_7488.jpg

Wow!!! Thats pretty good!!!
fl.gif

I have 1 splash and 1 pip on the silkies...
fl.gif
I would be happy with 2 chicks so I dont have a lonly one..
also my October egg swap eggs are hatching and I have no idea what I have
lau.gif
1 is out still cant tell..
idunno.gif
gig.gif

My nine month old buff orpington announced to the world today that she is going broody. The entire gang out in the henhouse are in on it: DaddyRoo is making his contributions, and I have 2 barred rocks, 1 other buff orpington hen and an Easter Egger hen all contributing eggs to the project.

Estimated hatching date is probably around Dec. 22 - 26. It is harder to control when you are relying on the eggs of your own hens for a broody to sit on, especially since right now I only have four hens actually laying. (I have two older hens who have gone into the moult, and are not currently laying, and now with Momma not laying, that means I have only four contributors to the project).

Sorry I went MIA for a couple days. Had some not so great stuff going on. First, I don't know what my girls problem is but they just don't want to lay! I've only got two eggs so far!
he.gif
Then, the egg I had that was SUPPOSED to go on lockdown on tue I noticed was not wiggling. I candled and yeah he was dead. I opened him up to see why he croaked and he had some swelling behind one of his ears and not only was his beak curved to his left but the bottom beak was not aligned with the top. Like he had a cross bite. So I guess that means there was something wrong with him. And this one really ticked me off....I had 4 eggs in the bator I set on Nov 26th. They were all doing GREAT. Well last night when I went to bed they were fine. When I got up and went to turn......The temp had spiked to 120 degrees!!!!!!
th.gif
Yeah they were all dead!
somad.gif
I have NO idea what happened. No body touched it. Hmmm unless my 4 year old reached in and turned the dial when I had gone to the bathroom or something right before bed. I HAD caught her trying to candle an egg when I came back from the bathroom a few weeks ago. AND, when I caught it I made a little of a mental note that it was weird that the dial seemed to have been turned all the way up since I had to fiddle to see which way turned the temp down since it's not marked which is up and which is down. I don't know though. All I know is I'm mad as all get out that now I only have the two eggs to set on the 6th. I agree with the having one Christmas hatch thread, if just some one could let me know if it will stay this thread or move to another. I didn't know there was another one. If there was another before I started this one I apologize. Didn't want to cause any confusion. Good luck every one! I know I'm going to need it and I'm hoping my girls will lay a couple more for me before the 6th!
fl.gif

I may have to, even though I really wanted to be done by then. I've been leaving my Silkies' and Barred Bantam Cochins' eggs with them, in hopes of a broody, but no such luck. With temps supposed to be in the teens overnight I had to bring them all in, so I guess they'll go in the 'bator today...

IMG_1310.jpg

Here's the eggs I set in the incubator Dec. 2nd. I'd put my d'uccle's eggs in the day before. I'm keeping my still air temp at 102! 100.5 was too low, judging by my last hatch. The only one that hatched was closest to the egg turner motor which gives off extra heat. It's from a mixed batch with maybe some pure silkies and a brabanter or two if I'm lucky.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom