Geese Breed Focus - Roman

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Roman, or Roman Tufted is said to be one of the oldest breeds of goose, bred more than 2000 years ago and originally sacred to the Goddess Juno. Roman geese were imported into the UK during the early 1900’s and entered the British Poultry Standard in 1954. Some Roman Geese are tufted and both tufted and non-tufted can be shown in the UK, but the APA's Standard of Perfection requires a tuft. They are called Tufted Roman in North America where they were standardised in 1977.

The breed is primarily kept as utility meat bird in Europe, where in Australia, they are dual purpose. Crests or tufts are optional in Europe and Australia.

Details:

Purpose: Dual - Mainly table birds
Egg laying: 40-60 eggs annually
Origin: Poland/Germany
Weight: Gander - 12-14 lbs; Goose - 10-12 lbs

Pic by @frostymayfly

Pic by @jbourget

Pic by @Jen C

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/roman-tufted

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621520/tufted-roman-geese/0_30

Do you own Roman geese? Are you a Roman geese breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

I don't have this breed, I just think they are lovely and must be hard to find because I never have seen them for sale anywhere around my part of the country. I hope we get more pics and thoughts from those who have them.

I don't have this breed, I just think they are lovely and must be hard to find because I never have seen them for sale anywhere around my part of the country. I hope we get more pics and thoughts from those who have them.

Ditto!

love.gif

Who knew? So beautiful!

I'm getting two TRs in May. My questions:
1- I do plan on providing a wading pool for them; but, will they want to swim in my swimming pool?
2- I read that a female may have darker gray feathers. Is that the only distiction? Will I have to sex vent them?
3- how many eggs can I expect ?
4- will they coexist peacefully with my hens and rooster?
5- they won't be fenced in during the day, so do I have to worry about them wandering off?
Thanks!

I have raised 8 geese since February 1 2016. This week I have had one to die and 2 that have had all the feather plucked down to the skin and very bloody. Any ideas why and what? Thanks in advance

If you buy mail order birds Murray Mcmurray has them, but they are expensive! https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/tufted_roman.html

I haven't bought geese from these guys before.

I missed this thread! I raise tufted romans. They are very rare and on the ALBC's critically endangered list. Here are my new goslings from this year:

Back
Top Bottom