Geese Breed Focus - Toulouse

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The French Toulouse (see also Exhibition Dewlap Toulouse) is a French breed of goose, originally from the area of Toulouse, in south-western France, from which it took it's name. Two types are recognised: a heavy industrial type with dewlaps and a slightly lighter agricultural type without dewlaps. The original grey-coloured breed is a very old one and it's name has been recorded back as far as 1555. The breed was first brought to England by a Lord Derby back in 1840. There the French Toulouse were used as breeding stock and by 1894, English breeders had produced a massive bird. The 'Toulouse' in France, although kept in greater numbers, have never quite equalled such weights. The breed was later brought to North America, where it became popular in the upper Midwest due to its ability to withstand cold winters.

Details:
Purpose: Meat production, feather down and exhibition
Weight: Goose - 10-13lbs; Gander - 12-15lbs
Egg laying: (Of the type without dewlaps) 25–40; Dewlap - 20-35 annually

Pic by @CelticOaksFarm

Pic by @Miss Lydia

Pic by @pete55

Pic by @pete55

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/french-toulouse
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/exhibition-dewlap-toulouse

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/716980/buff-dewlap-toulouse-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700242/toulouse-geese-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/892901/production-toulouse-geese-thread/0_30

Do you own Toulouse geese? Are you a Toulouse geese breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

I started out with three Toulouse, a gander and two females. The blessed me with 8 goslings so I now have 11 of these magnificent birds. I have them as pets and for the fun and beauty of them. And, except during breeding season, they are docile and friendly. To me, they are the perfect example of what a goose is supposed to be and be like.

The gaggle on parade

Father, mother and babies

They grow up fast

The original three and the goslings

The original three. Sting, Lydia and Pauline

Yes, Toulouse geese can fly.

Wonderful pics @jtn42248 Thanks for sharing!

This is Blossom, one of our rescues. She was dumped at the river and had fishing line around that left leg for who knows how long. It took 2 weeks to catch her, she was so afraid of people. The line was so imbedded the vet had to help get the line from under the skin. 3 YYEARS LATER, she is happy, healthy, and a busybody! The foot will never be the same but she doesn't notice at all.

Blossom with her pal Burt. He was rescued with her. He is a big boy, and a sweetheart. We all wonder what his story was as well because his right wing is broken. The vet doesn't think it causes any pain and he can tuck it up tight and fan wings enthusiastically when showing off.

We love our rescue birds. They know how good they have it now.

Please share with others never to dump domestics at a park or river. They can not fly away from harm like Canadian geese. It's a slow death sentence.

@Cyndaleana thank you for your wonderful pics and story and good on you for rescuing them!

Last edited:
This is Blossom, one of our rescues. She was dumped at the river and had fishing line around that left leg for who knows how long. It took 2 weeks to catch her, she was so afraid of people. The line was so imbedded the vet had to help get the line from under the skin. 3 YYEARS LATER, she is happy, healthy, and a busybody! The foot will never be the same but she doesn't notice at all.

Blossom with her pal Burt. He was rescued with her. He is a big boy, and a sweetheart. We all wonder what his story was as well because his right wing is broken. The vet doesn't think it causes any pain and he can tuck it up tight and fan wings enthusiastically when showing off.

We love our rescue birds. They know how good they have it now.

Please share with others never to dump domestics at a park or river. They can not fly away from harm like Canadian geese. It's a slow death sentence.
They are gorgeous @Cyndaleana Thank you for rescuing them. We try very hard to spread the word about not only dumping geese but ducks as well. Some people have the mnidset because they are water fowl they can make it. We all know that is not true. Your 2 just look like they are a happy pair.
Thanks for sharing them with us.
Welcome to BYC

Thank you @sumi for putting Missy's pic up, here is another one.
200x200px-ZC-a3af73cb_001.jpeg
Missy is 4yrs old this month she has a very sweet disposition and just an all round great goose. If someone wanted a mild mannered goose for their homestead I would recommend Toulouse. I have a gander too and honestly would not rec one for a homestead with small children unless securely fenced. They can be a handful during breeding season. Other times of year mild mannered also. They are pets only.

Here is Babe my gander he will be 2 end of May[nick name Mr Hissy]
200x200px-ZC-2147f536_004.jpeg

Last edited:
Less than a month until they get here. Can't wait! I also got a new pen for them to stay in when they're older since my ducks and our chickens are using the only other 2 pens I have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom