Geese carrying disease? Advice, please.

NEgoosegirl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2015
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for any advice that I can get. I have two female Sebastopols, one 5 yrs. old, one 1 yr. old. Their mate (5 yrs. old), died three months ago from a sudden illness that lasted only 2 days. The younger female showed similar symptoms a couple weeks or so before the gander started acting the same way and then died. For the sake of brevity, I won't go into all the details here of the symptoms and why I arrived at my suspicions, but I have very strong suspicions that the gander died from Fowl Cholera. Everything I read about Fowl Cholera convinced me that it's very likely at best and certain at worst that infected birds that recover carry the disease for the rest of their lives. This means that my females are most likely carrying the disease. As I see it, I have two options. 1) Cull the geese, let the place rest, and start over next year. 2) Get a new gander, put him with the females, and see if he gets anything from them. Now for my question: Does anyone have any advice as to whether the second option would be a fool-proof test to see if the females are carrying a disease? Could they sub-clinically infect a new mate and I wouldn't be any the wiser? Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

Back
Top Bottom