Geese!?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi everyone, Next month is going to be crazy, between getting my first cattle and my 3 batches of chicks I've ordered to arrive next month. I thought about it and i thought i'd add a new species of poultry this year! I have zero experience with geese, but i've heard they're cool birds. I ordered 2, for June 7th and hope they both arrive healthy. They are tufted roman geese and they're coming from metzer farms. They will be living with my chickens, and i do have room for them. I'm really excited to add something new to my flock and learning more about geese.

They’re here!!!
They are bigger than I thought they’d be, but they are still super cute! They both arrived this morning happy and healthy.

I’ll have to get more pictures when I get the chance.

Attachments

• 23995872-1F11-44B4-92F9-CABDCE66BF19.jpeg
    23995872-1F11-44B4-92F9-CABDCE66BF19.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 5
Do you know if this is a good breeder?

Metzer Farms is probably the best quality waterfowl you will get from a big hatchery. They focus only on waterfowl so the quality is higher. I've ordered from them several times and been happy each time.

What happens if I end up with 2 ganders? Will they harm each other for dominance? Will I need to seperate them? Thanks for any info!

They will probably be okay. I even once accidentally had a breeding group of two ganders and goose that I thought was the other way around, lol, and there was no real fighting.

@Pyxis, you breed emus?! I'm looking into getting a few emu chicks or eggs once we become a more established homestead. Are they good birds?

I do, and they are! I love my dinosaurs. However when getting them it's more like you're getting a horse than it is that you're getting a bird. They need lots of space, tall fences, and they can hurt you if they kick. I've been kicked before and it definitely hurts, lol.

Metzer Farms is probably the best quality waterfowl you will get from a big hatchery. They focus only on waterfowl so the quality is higher. I've ordered from them several times and been happy each time.

They will probably be okay. I even once accidentally had a breeding group of two ganders and goose that I thought was the other way around, lol, and there was no real fighting.

I do, and they are! I love my dinosaurs. However when getting them it's more like you're getting a horse than it is that you're getting a bird. They need lots of space, tall fences, and they can hurt you if they kick. I've been kicked before and it definitely hurts, lol.
Thanks for all the info , especially about your ordering experience!

-ChickenWhisperer101

Wow!!! Spend lots of time with those little darlings. They grow so quickly and are crazy messy! The more time you spend with them now, the friendlier they will be when they are grown! Mine ship in 58 days!! Can't wait.

Well, I lost one pretty early on, but Donald is thriving and very happy. He imprinted on me, and although he doesn’t like our other goose, they still have each other to “talk” to.
Sorry about your loss. I hate that part of flock tending.
🙁

How many geese do you have?

And how's it going with the cattle? I've thought about getting a pair of dairy cows, but seems complicated. I struggle with chickens sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom