Gender and Breed Check on Easter Egger or Ameraucana

Clio81

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Hello! This is 14 week old "Gretchen." We bought him/her at IFA and (s)he was labeled as an Ameraucana:

Quite lovely, yes? My questions are these: Am I right in thinking this is a roo? The tail and wattles look suspiciously rooster-ish to me. My second question is related to his breed. Here are a few more pictures:

He doesn't have any muffs, so I'm thinking he's not a true Ameraucana, but his legs are so bright yellow! Not green at all. Does that mean he's not an Easter Egger either? If not, what is he?

Also, I realize that if he's a roo, then egg color is kind of a moot point, but I read that the green legs are related to egg color. If he had been a hen, what color eggs would she have produced with legs that yellow?

He's a rooster.

Ameracuanas bought at feed stores are actually Easter eggers. They don't meet the breed standard for the pure bred birds, they're bred more for the colored eggs and not so much regard to color or leg color, things like that.

Leg color does not equal leg color. Easter eggers usually have green legs and by coincidence lay green eggs, but you can also get green legs just by crossbreeding long enough.

That said, your rooster isn't even an Easter Egger. He looks like a splash laced Wyandotte to me. Not the best lacing in the world, but that's to be expected for a hatchery bird. The rose comb, the yellow legs, the color all say Wyandotte. He's quite the handsome guy!

edited--Wyandotte's are brown egg layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom