Gender, breed, and age?

nogeekspls

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
About three weeks ago, much to my surprise there was a Chicken walking along my fence line.
I told the young lady that was with me to grab one of the horse sheets so we could go catch it.

When we got around the other side of the fence the Chicken was laying under a pine tree.

I kneeled down and called "Chicken" and it looked up and ran over to me and pecked at my legs.

This is a very human bonded bird and I can not imagine someone just dumping her.
Immediately next door to me is a County water facility. To the north and south open space. Immediately east of me
McMansions, no livestock allowed in those neighborhoods. I did however look for lost chicken listings in the local papers etc just in case.

So now I have this chicken but I am stumped as to what sex it is.
I would love any guesses as to age. Chicken has grown since arriving.
Its appears to have Barred Rock breeding but I have no idea if its a mix or pure.

The plan is to build nice housing for it and some chicken friends.

I really do hope this is a hen.

At any rate it is very loving and its favorite thing is to either sit on my lap, or lay on my lap and get on its side.
In one respect it acts like my female parrots in that when I pet it a certain way it kind of raises its tail and arches its back a bit.

Without further ado here are some photos of "Chicken" who was quite alert for the photo taking when I could get her away from the camera.

Looks like a Barred Rock mix.

I want to say pullet, but you stated that it's grown since you've had it and that makes me suspicious.

I don't see any saddle or hackle feathers though.

Last edited:
Barred rock, or Barred rock mix. I'm not sure whether it is a hen or rooster. Comb/wattles development says hen, tail shape and general appearance says rooster.

That looks like a barred rock pullet. There may be some mixing in her breed but I can say with a lot of certainty that she is a pullet. She is probably 20+ weeks old. With the amount of comb the bird has at the age it appears to be, you would definitely be able to see more rooster traits such as the hackle and saddle feathers coming in if it were male.

Thank you everyone for your replies!!!

I am really captivated by her and just how loving she is.

If it makes any difference in regards to her tail development- she was on High Alert as I was trying to take the pictures as the Hawk was flying around and the Ravens were yelling out their warning call. She had a very "upright" posture which is not the norm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom