Gender guesses on these Silkies?

jBabychickn

Songster
Jul 19, 2021
Lexington, KY
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve got a couple of 10-11wk old Silkies.
1 — White
1 — Black
Any guess as to the gender, or still too early ???

Attachments

• IMG_9141.jpeg
    IMG_9141.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9147.jpeg
    IMG_9147.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9149.jpeg
    IMG_9149.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9126.jpeg
    IMG_9126.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9124.jpeg
    IMG_9124.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9123.jpeg
    IMG_9123.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 26
I agree, it still is a little early. You should try to get some better pictures of the combs.
@Ch1cken Tender
@JedJackson
Will do!! — More “head-on” pics! 👍🏼👍🏼
I’m think im gonna do the feather thing for DNA testing… I’m just too dang impatient with this little hatch of babies!!! 🐣🐣🐣 — They are from our first Broody Mama and she did SO well.

I think perhaps I’m a lot more invested/excited this time around… 🧐
Perhaps from the whole experience, of watching Mama Pippa sit, of watching her get to “see” her babies for the 1st time, of watching her care for them so carefully, especially when they were such itty-bitty fuzzy things, and then as I’ve watched them integrate so easily into the flock…

@Ch1cken Tender
@JedJackson
Will do!! — More “head-on” pics! 👍🏼👍🏼
I’m think im gonna do the feather thing for DNA testing… I’m just too dang impatient with this little hatch of babies!!! 🐣🐣🐣 — They are from our first Broody Mama and she did SO well.

I think perhaps I’m a lot more invested/excited this time around… 🧐
Perhaps from the whole experience, of watching Mama Pippa sit, of watching her get to “see” her babies for the 1st time, of watching her care for them so carefully, especially when they were such itty-bitty fuzzy things, and then as I’ve watched them integrate so easily into the flock…
I think genetic tests are a great way to go with Silkies. It is exciting to hatch chicks and watch them grow up with Mama. Hope you get the gender you want for them.

I think genetic tests are a great way to go with Silkies. It is exciting to hatch chicks and watch them grow up with Mama. Hope you get the gender you want for them.
So.. I’ve ordered (3) Feather🪶DNA tests!
🙀
🧐

1 - White Silkie (Willow)
2 - Black Silkie (Zoëy)
3 - Mottled Satin Showgirl (Gooseberry)

(Around here, everyone’s a GirL… until they aren’t… Heehee) 🐣

I’ll definitely update my post with their actual lab results. — Then, we’ll get to see our guesstimates vs. actual science 🧬 !!

How exciting … :wee

🙀
🧐

2 - Black Silkie (Zoëy)

I’ll definitely update my post with their actual lab results. — Then, we’ll get to see our guesstimates vs. actual science 🧬 !!

Any results yet? So excited for you! I have a sweet little silkie that’s 4 weeks old, no idea pullet vs roo, but so darn fluffy & sweet! 🥰
How did you go about getting the DNA kit?

🙀
🧐

2 - Black Silkie (Zoëy)

Any results yet? So excited for you! I have a sweet little silkie, no idea pullet vs roo, but so darn fluffy & sweet! 🥰

Any results yet? So excited for you! I have a sweet little silkie that’s 4 weeks old, no idea pullet vs roo, but so darn fluffy & sweet! 🥰
How did you go about getting the DNA kit?
Hi 👋🏼
— I haven’t collected any feathers yet 🙁🫣Unfortunately I fell ill, and was quite sick there for awhile. My husband was caring for our Chickens for the first few weeks of August.
I was only able to watch them like an obsessed stalker through our backyard cameras… LOL!
It drove me crazy tho; I do hate being away from them…
— I’ve been busy catching-up on things last week, but I plan to collect feathers either Today or Tomorrow (8/28 or 8/29). I’m super nervous about plucking 3-4 feathers out for each bird; it can’t feel too great! Poor babies… I’m upset at myself that I’ve delayed it so much…
But, even at 4mos, I still cannot tell what I have…

Again, I’ll be sure to update once I get results and I’ll add updated pics too as they’ve grown A LOT! — They say it only takes 3-4 business days to get your answers.

As far as getting the Tests:
You can print everything you need from home, the shipping label, the detailed forms for the specimens, etc.. Since I chose Feather DNA Collection, I’ll be placing them in a Ziploc bag, then I’ll staple them to the appropriate birds form. — For those that choose Blood DNA Collection, they’ll need to trim a Nail from the Chicken’s Foot just a bit too closely in order to draw blood, then let it drip 2-3 drops onto the paper itself, wherever the printed form indicates.

There’s plenty of information to read up on at their Website, even a few videos that are helpful —
IQBirdTesting.com

Back
Top Bottom