midnoight

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2018
we hatched out a chick from a black australorp hen and a rhode island red rooster. currently it's 4 weeks old and integrated into the flock. it is black with a green shine on it's feathers, and gold speckles on it's chest.

it got huge quick, quicker than i remember chicks growing. i may be able to get better pictures tomorrow, but the chick's comb is growing quite red and big for a chick at 4 weeks old

i'd like to know if there's a way to tell what gender it is before it starts crowing or laying.

hoping for a rooster. we named it michael gary scott jr but that name isnt changing so uh

Attachments

• IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 14
That’s a mighty red comb and wattles for 4 weeks! It looks like you named that little boy appropriately! Congrats! It’s a cockerel!

that's what i thought! if he were a hen the name would have stuck, but im glad it doesnt have to be lie that :). we need a roo anyway, we're getting more hens soon!

Pretty big comb and wattle for 4 weeks- so I'd say cockerel. But chickens can surprise us!

i'd say it's a rooster too, but you're right, they are very surprising!

Im glad you got what you wanted at least!.

About surprising... I got several 5 week old porcelain duccles from a breeder, 6 pullets and a cockerel. The cockerel was very bright and red with wattle already compared to his hatch mates- well he ended up a pullet too!

Ordered 15 duccles from a hatchery knowing I'd get at least one Male, nope 15/15 pullets... I couldn't get a Male it seemed lol!
Finally managed to get a blue splash duccle cockerel accidentally!

Back
Top Bottom