3 genetic hackle chicks hatched today! The first of 2018. 4 eggs were set, 1 was not fertile. 2 are crele (chipmunk striped chicks from barred parents), the other is black barred.
Thats awesome! Congrats on the new chicks! I have to find some eggs and start incubating soon myself.

I’m obviously not a fly tying expert, but if you do an Internet search on Tom’s Blue Whitings, the main thing that comes up is that they were developed for fly tying.

Just so that I don’t repeat error again, can someone briefly explain to me why they won’t work for fly tying?

This is a name association mixup. Tom Whiting is well known for developing Genetic Hackle birds, because more has been written about him than anyone. That does not imply that the only chickens he ever bred were the Genetic Hackles. They are generally poor layers and you can't blame him for wanting some hens that were good layers. Since blue eggs are unusual, but otherwise don't affect the production capability of the birds, he set out to create a strain of egg layers that laid lots of blue eggs. The University of Arkansas did a similar thing, as well documented in other threads on this site.

So, the "Whiting True Blue" strain has no association with Genetic Hackle birds, other that that they were developed by the same breeder. I have never read anything about the True Blues being any better for fly tying than your garden variety barred rock. Someone may have started some rumors, we know the internet is great for that.

“TomWhiting is well known for developingGenetic Hackle birds”

Actually Tom Whiting purchased the two primary lines of genetic hackle birds - the Hoffman line directly from Henry Hoffman (now sold as Whiting “red label” line), and the Darbee line that was also advanced by Miner and Hebert (labeled as the Hebert/Miner “green label” line). Tom Whiting has done a great deal of further advancement and refinement with both lines, but he started his work with the foundations laid by those original pioneers who actually did the development of the lines.

“They are generally poor layers”

While some breeders may have poorly managed their stock and caused genetic weakness likely due to excessive inbreeding, other breeders have expertly bred their stock and have selected for vigor, prolific reproduction, and even the natural mothering instinct in addition to the essential feather traits. My genetic hackle birds are excellent layers and range from 5/week to daily depending on the individual hen and time of year. They lay early in the year, lay through the summer and only stop when moulting in the fall and during the couple of months of shortest days in winter.

I stand corrected -- some strains are poor layers, including mine. Their eggs are smaller than my silkie bantams, but not as many, I would estimate 20 - 50 per hen per year.

Do your birds come from Whiting ?

What types of pens, or cages do you guys keep your Hackle birds in?
Regular pens like the other breeds. My current groups are 4 hens and roo in a 4x6 pen, one has an outdoor run, one does not (yet). Both are doing great. I don't believe there are any special considerations with these like there would be with the longtail breeds. Obviously, wet bedding and dirty conditions are not good.

Regular pens like the other breeds. My current groups are 4 hens and roo in a 4x6 pen, one has an outdoor run, one does not (yet). Both are doing great. I don't believe there are any special considerations with these like there would be with the longtail breeds. Obviously, wet bedding and dirty conditions are not good.
Sounds cool! Do you keep them heated? I think I remember you mentioning you live in the Northeast.

dheltzel,

Thank you for your information and the way you have shared it and the way you have responded to my messages as well. Too many times in these forums people take others’ comments personally and/or choose to attack or comment disrespectfully.
While my experience differs greatly from yours, my comments are in no way an attempt to discredit you or challenge the truth of your experiences with your hackle birds. I appreciate the ability for both of us to offer different and even opposing information to the readers of this thread and for each of us to do so respectfully and without initiating personal attacks on the other in an attempt to simply defend our position as the only possible one worth hearing. I hope the tone of my messages has been as respectful and friendly as has yours. I tip my cap to you.

I love having rare and unusual birds, and I love the people I meet in this hobby. I am pretty new to the genetic hackles. I wanted them for a while and spent a lot of money to get the first ones. I am currently looking for local fly tiers to "try out" the feathers from the stock I bought, since I have no idea if they are really good for this, or just a really neat looking bird. The young ones I raised are now starting to lay and I am happy with them. In the end, that is what matters.
I found this page some time back and kept the link because I found it to be good reading. I can't vouch for the accuracy of anything of course, but I like reading it.
https://troutatemyhomework.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/how-does-genetic-hackle-work

Back
Top Bottom