Genetics Calculator Chat Thread

Pics
Well I do have 350 egg incubators :lau. I also have a lot of free time for paying attention to each breed.
True. I just realised @Boggy Bottoms Bantams was last seen in 2016. But you do spend a lot less money and space with a few breeds. But I am also just a two breed person. I have two varieties of Buckeye (large and bantam) and two of d'Anvers.
Anyways let's move this interesting conversation here.

True. I just realised @Boggy Bottoms Bantams was last seen in 2016. But you do spend a lot less money and space with a few breeds. But I am also just a two breed person. I have two varieties of Buckeye (large and bantam) and two of d'Anvers.
Anyways let's move this interesting conversation here.
I used to be a two breed person, but I have a large amount of free land to use and also have a trucking job that well over supports my poultry projects :p

Exactly. Actually I like some white birds because they look pristine, but white on rocks shows off all of their worst traits. I like white on a global Wyandotte, a graceful Polish, a slim Leghorn. And it simplifies the color of many other birds like Marans and Legbars and shows off their less paid attention to traits. But Rocks look great in color and strut their stuff, a good barred rock, a perfect double laced. Why fade all that awesomeness into plain old white.

Splash is an codominant trait. Bl'Bl' is black, Bl'Bl is blue BlBl is splash. To make them easier to tell apart Kippenjungle makes them BlBl black, Blbl blue and blbl splash. Black BlBl and black BlBl give you BlBl black. Black BlBl and blue give you half black and half blue because blue has to give one allele to it's offspring, and it has a fifty percent chance of either. So you get fifty percent black BlBl and fifty percent blue Blbl. Blue and blue gives you a fifty percent chance of Blbl blue and a 25 percent black BlBl and a 25 percent chance of splash bb. Splash blbl and splash blbl gives you splash because they have to give b no matter what. Splash and blue gives fifty percent blue and fifty percent splash. Splash blbl and black BlBl gives you one hundred percent blue. If you don't get it here is a chart. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=f0Al0DIy&id=AAF51A192D4A3A188422ACC823CADB0C08FE7598&thid=OIP.f0Al0DIydrFf85bIdb_5HAAAAA&mediaurl=http://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5781723/width/350/height/700/flags/LL&exph=264&expw=350&q=black+black+splash+chart+chickens&simid=608043186840472530&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0
Chromosomes. Sexlinked genes like barring work this way.

Some genes only fit on the X chromosome like barring which looks like this on males B/B and this on females B/- because females only have one X chromosome. So the males immediately inherit one barring gene from their mother, while the fathers give the gene to their sons, they also give one to each of their daughters.
If the father is barred and the mother is black all the sons look like this B/b+ so single barred. The girls get B from their father so B/- single barred.
If their father is a solid color, say black, and their mother is barred the boys will inherit the barring and their father's solid black, so barred. The hens will inherit their one gene from their father and be black. Sexlinkage. There is also another few combinations I don't feel like explaining. If you think back to science class way back when, this was explained. Just not with chickens maybe.;) You know feather sexing? That is sexlinked so we have a fast feathering father and slow feathering mother you get fast feathering pullets and slow feathering cockerels. This can be done within a breed. However, you have to purposefully make this cross, so it's always better to just do an easy cross, like an Australorp over a barred rock or something, how hard can that be?
Thank you! And? I got it, before chichens, I bred exotic birds. Guess what....SAME principles apply. Dominant, recessive sex linked traits, colors & patterns, modifiers of colors, modifiers & etc...After I memorize the terminology & name for each mutation....I'M GOOD! This clicks in my brain for some reason (Just don't ask me to do more than college Algebra!).
I'm just glad that chickens only have black, red & white (& Silver) colors!
However - there is a bajillion breeds- each with their own mutations- *speaking only of color/patterns.

Additionally, I actually don't focus on all those breeds, they are more of pets. I really just focus on Sultans, Rocks, Sussex, and Andalusians
Oh. I see. That makes a lot more sense. I have plenty of other breeds too. (I also focus on Call ducks because they don't need a separate breeding space.)
They don't take space in the breeding pens of course. Multicolored Silkies (for meat and pets, we decided we wanted to try black silkie meat), Welsummers, Ameraucanas (we breed them, but not seriously. We are improving our birds which are definitely Ameraucanas but are pretty close to Easter Eggers), Dominique bantams, Easter Eggers (these are ones we bred for fun), a Sicilian Buttercup, and Anconas. The only rooster of that flock are Dominique bantams and Ameraucanas. (Fortunately none of the three Easter Eggers we hatched yet were male, they'd be gone by now.)

We just started with turkeys (not broad-breasted) this year and I already love the four of them and am planning on instead of consumption, keeping a couple around as pets as they are sweet and friendly. None of them are favorites yet so this is a flexible plan on who to keep. I think we have two males and two females.
They make adorable noises and play silly games, but their extreme curiosity gets them into trouble. Like when I am trying to cull a chicken What is that shiny sharp thing in your hand? Can I peck it? Can I walk over it? Can I peck the dying chicken? Can I eat your toes?
They chase you running and flapping their wings so they can catch up with you. Once you go outside the turkeys will eventually catch up with you, which is fine because as long as you are not killing a chicken they will not be ganging up on you, there are four. When I was killing the chicken, my favorite duck was nibbling my toes, and a curious Ancona named Spaz was pecking me and the chicken.

Oh. I see. That makes a lot more sense. I have plenty of other breeds too. (I also focus on Call ducks because they don't need a separate breeding space.)
They don't take space in the breeding pens of course. Multicolored Silkies (for meat and pets, we decided we wanted to try black silkie meat), Welsummers, Ameraucanas (we breed them, but not seriously. We are improving our birds which are definitely Ameraucanas but are pretty close to Easter Eggers), Dominique bantams, Easter Eggers (these are ones we bred for fun), a Sicilian Buttercup, and Anconas. The only rooster of that flock are Dominique bantams and Ameraucanas. (Fortunately none of the three Easter Eggers we hatched yet were male, they'd be gone by now.)

We just started with turkeys (not broad-breasted) this year and I already love the four of them and am planning on instead of consumption, keeping a couple around as pets as they are sweet and friendly. None of them are favorites yet so this is a flexible plan on who to keep. I think we have two males and two females.
They make adorable noises and play silly games, but their extreme curiosity gets them into trouble. Like when I am trying to cull a chicken What is that shiny sharp thing in your hand? Can I peck it? Can I walk over it? Can I peck the dying chicken? Can I eat your toes?
They chase you running and flapping their wings so they can catch up with you. Once you go outside the turkeys will eventually catch up with you, which is fine because as long as you are not killing a chicken they will not be ganging up on you, there are four. When I was killing the chicken, my favorite duck was nibbling my toes, and a curious Ancona named Spaz was pecking me and the chicken.
Yea, my other breeds are more for experimenting. Like if I wanted to test my knowledge on what offspring a Buff Orp Bantam crossed with a Red Pyle OEGB would produce I would cross those. Or what New Hampshire Red hens would look like crossed with Barnevelder Roos I could do it. It was a fun hobby, but now I just make EE's. We used to have like 50 turkeys but we couldn't stand how stupid they were :lau

Back
Top Bottom