Genetics Calculator Chat Thread

Pics
Yes, I did notice that while raising turkeys, to heard them, I just had to lead them and they would in all good faith follow me where ever it pleased me to take them.
Yup. I wonder if they would follow me into a pit of lava. Likely not. They haven't followed me into the car. Yet. Someday. They are like ticking time bombs.
They are not broad breasted and are young yet so they fly better (or more at least) than chickens and maneuver better than our small ducks that really need their wings clipped because I recently saw one fly across the road and run back and for a second I thought it got run over by a car. It was so close. That was the only animal that crossed the road on my farm.

Yup. I wonder if they would follow me into a pit of lava. Likely not. They haven't followed me into the car. Yet. Someday. They are like ticking time bombs.
They are not broad breasted and are young yet so they fly better (or more at least) than chickens and maneuver better than our small ducks that really need their wings clipped because I recently saw one fly across the road and run back and for a second I thought it got run over by a car. It was so close. That was the only animal that crossed the road on my farm.
:lau I could see turkeys following someone into a pit. I once had all my chickens cross the road and far into another field. I was driving home and saw non-wild type birds walking around in a field :lau

You and me sure like to chat, huh? Probably a more appropriate thread for this.
It's cause those dadgum hatcheries cross their birds with more productive breeds so people buy more. They know no one wants to order laying hens that barely lay. They do it with the RIR's, the Buff Orpingtons, the Black Australorps. I'm sure people won't agree with me on this, but from what I've played with over the last 10 years, the bad shapes and colors they get are the results of crossings

Yes. I've read once that a breed is a shape, not a color or pedigree. You can outcross to other breeds I suppose, (though I wouldn't suggest it, but it's been done) as long as the shape fits in the outline called the SOP. Hatcheries sell colors, not breeds. They sell brownish chickens, black and white stripey chickens, silver laced-ish chickens, yellow chickens and orange chickens, and label them as breeds like barred rocks and RIR, but they are really just of the single comb brown egg laying hatchery laying bird breed.
Some of this may be exaggerated, but it's true.
Some hatcheries do a good job, but this is what I usually see.

(my friend called cornish cross red and white chickens and I was so confused I was like "wait this farm has red and white chickens?" She points to the white Cornish Cross. Highly disappointing. Apparently red combs count as part of the color to someone unfamiliar with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom