Genetics Experts: Can you get Lavender from B/B/S?

Quote:
Chris I totally appreciate you helping us out on this. I know to many it was more a pressing question about this guy then to me. However, I would like to know too. And adjust my breeding IF I choose to use him. him being BUSTOFF too, the daddy of this boy. BUS is the 1/2 Black Australorp and 1/2 Doug Akers Buff Orp mix I used with a true Blue Splash, who's breeder also raises lavs and told me first I had a Lav. Then I asked a few more folks who either raise and breed Lavs or is an APA judge and the other half of my BUS breeding, Doug Akers. Doug said SELF Blue. That is when I introduced a post on another thread the other day, that said, I believe my splash was not, and infact was not a splash, but a self blue.
I did do a bit of research and called and talked to the owner of MT Healthy. He did say they bring in new blood in his Australorp program periodically. He says from Hatcheries like Ideal. IF the true Lav gene was passed down, I believe it would possible to have that gene come from the Australorp on my cockerel's side. I can invision in mid summer on 2008 some Black Lav splits passing for Australorps and being introduced to a hatchery, by mistake as a POSSIBILITY of where the gene came from. Just a wild long shot theory. I can not see Doug Akers Buff Orpington's having a Lavender gene.

Last edited:
Quote:
Is there an age when this "test" works best - I guess to clarify does this test work after the first molt or 6 month molt? I ask because I have a very young Lavender Ameraucana chick from John Blehm (so I have no doubt it carries a double copy of the lav gene) - I will go and check the little cockerel and see.

lildinkem you are so right about some passing as Aussies, some were not as good as others size wise and those were given around for free and or sold , esp alot of black splits. thats one thing bad about black splits, one will never know if it had it (lav gene) or not until the breeding begins and the right birds are paired up.

I wish i would have culled alot of the black splits from the past and so regret it now in a way, but just didn't have the heart to kill perfectly good pullets, chicks and cockerels..

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's the culprit. I REALLY like him. I still have Andy's bro Mertyl back in my cock pen. Mertly is not as typee a Black Australorp. And that would be even a longer shot, that Mert would have the same gene too. IF your partially responsible for Andy. I thank you. Not for the Lav gene, just for the possiblities of the BUS.
I guess I MAY have your bloodline now, pretty funny IF I do. lololol You can rub it in anytime Charlie. I am proud to have it.

383699988.jpg

Here is the bird that is causing all the trouble. I like him too much. I know I am a fool. But, the BUS rocks my world. This pic was taken late last year. BUS was 10.8 lbs when I last weighd in Jan. He would have been near 10 months old then. So here is my boy, I love him. And do not care IF he does not throw any LAVENDER. BUS RULES!

This is a pic is near end of last fall.
378407600.jpg

Do you see any family resemblance?
378407597.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's the culprit. I REALLY like him. I still have Andy's bro Mertyl back in my cock pen. Mertly is not as typee a Black Australorp. And that would be even a longer shot, that Mert would have the same gene too. IF your partially responsible for Andy. I thank you. Not for the Lav gene, just for the possiblities of the BUS.
I guess I MAY have your bloodline now, pretty funny IF I do. lololol You can rub it in anytime Charlie. I am proud to have it.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL427/739981/21043320/383699988.jpg

I would bet you that bird is a lavender split. Most of the birds early on had an OEG look to their tail........

I now send all my black chicks from my lavender split to lavender split pen to my friend who has a laying facility so there is no possibility of having birds with unknown genes floating around.

ETA: I personally have never heard of a regular blue chicken being referred to as self blue. What I have learned is that self blue is used to describe a blue bird that breeds true. Regular blue does not and in my mind would never be referred to as self blue.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Quote:

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL427/739981/21043320/383699988.jpg

I would bet you that bird is a lavender split. Most of the birds early on had an OEG look to their tail........

I now send all my black chicks from my lavender split to lavender split pen to my friend who has a laying facility so there is no possibility of having birds with unknown genes floating around.​

He was a fightr too. He use to beat up Mertyl, and he was a perfect boy to test fertility, on an up to then, unfertile egg layin Buff Orp. IF BUS is a Lav split, he would be like a BLACK LAV SPLIT? IF so he is an easy one to keep track of. He's 12 lbs. lololol

Last edited:
I have a split to Lav black Orpington that looks alot like an Australorp. My Lav Orp also looks alot like an Australorp! They are the only two I have left and in the cull pen. If I decide to work on the Lav project I will get some birds I know are a better quality!

So, I didn't get an answer. Is there one. The Lav gene HAD to have come from somewhere. Where did it come from?

rustyswoman I'm not sure if this is the answer you are looking for.

But its basically a mutation gene. just like many other gene mutations.

I'm sure it has been around alot longer than many would think.

even wild type chickens carried it, however they probably fell pray alot faster then the wild colored ones did, just as white and or albinos in the wild, so more or less they don't survive all that well in the wild, but they pop up and have a chance to breed and the gene survives in one way or another, id imagine that this lav gen has popped up in the past a few times in domesticated birds and was just culled out and eaten like most chickens were back in the days....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom