Genetics Question On Silver Pencilled and Partridge

pips&peeps

There is no "I" in Ameraucana
Jan 18, 2008
Newman Lake, WA
First off, I apologize if I posted in the wrong section, I browsed quickly and didn't find anything close but this one.

My question is: Genetically how close are silver pencilled wyandottes and partridge wyandottes?

I bought some partridge chicks from a breeder and have lost all the females. I have three males left and only two of them will probably make it to maturity. (My problem with them would be another post on quarantining, even for day old chicks.)

However, I also purchased silver pencilled chicks from a different place and am happy to say all are healthy and flourishing. I am wondering if I cross the two can I get a partridge colored bird soon or will it take several generations to get the correct standard?

Has anyone done this? The pattern on the birds looks similar, but the colors are different, henceforth my dilemma. I am pretty sure you can cross gold and silver and one of those colors are sex linked, but I don't remember which.

In other words, I know just enough about genetics to know I need help.

Thank you,

I am pretty sure you can cross gold and silver and one of those colors are sex linked, but I don't remember which.

Silver and gold are sex-linked. A gold male bred to a silver hen will produce gold daughters and silver sons carrying gold. A silver male bred to a gold hen will produce silver offspring, with the males carrying gold.

But, that said, Jean, I also know just enough to know I need help
smile.png
And I don't know that much about Wyandotte color patterns. So, I'm just thinking the main difference at issue here would be between S and s+, but that could be wrong. If that were the difference, then it wouldn't be very difficult to produce partridge with a gold male because his daughters will all be gold. The quality of the gold might not be great for a couple of generations, though. But I am on very shaky ground here, because there could be more difference in these patterns than I'm thinking...​

Ok maybe I will be completely off here but I was just reading out of my new "Genetics of the Fowl" book on silver and gold. Silver is dominant but sex linked so that crossing a silver female with a gold male produces silver males and gold females. Partridge is the pattern on a gold background. So you would need the recessive version of silver (ss) to get gold or the sex linked s (I'm not entirely sure how sex linked genes work yet) and then have whatever the gene is for the partridge pattern on top of it.

The pattern gene looks the same to me. It is double laced on both as far as I can see in pictures on feathersite. My birds are still chicks.....

So, theoretically if the pattern gene is the same, and I breed my partridge boy to a silver pencilled girl, then all my girls should be partridge and my guys silver pencilled.

Well, if no one else chimes in, we will know next spring if it works or not.

Here are the pictures from feathersite of Grant Brereton's birds.

PartrWyPr.JPEG

slither.JPEG

So, theoretically if the pattern gene is the same, and I breed my partridge boy to a silver pencilled girl, then all my girls should be partridge and my guys silver pencilled.

Yes, but your guys will carry the gold gene, and they may be brassy.​

Quote:
Yes, but your guys will carry the gold gene, and they may be brassy.

Well, since I have a good supply of silver pencilled, I can eat the silver boys from that cross and that will solve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom