German New Hampshire

congrats
thumbsup.gif
you will be hatching your own chicks in no time
Thanks Banjoe. I may hatch a few out this year just to play a bit but I'm really wanting to wait until all my birds are of age and my pens are set up like I really want them to be. I'm in no hurry for anymore birds...lol !!!!

Chris

Guys,
Take a look at this guy and tell me what you all think of him. I've started culling my older roos but this is one that I'm really starting to like more every day. I have another one that I was going to keep that's a little younger and a little bigger than this one but like I said I keep coming back to this guy. Keep in mind I'm very green at this but I really like his tail angle and how he holds his wings. You can't see it in these pics but his tail is nice and wide when looking from behind him.

Anyway, any comments good are bad are welcomed....I have plenty roos to go through, lol.

Thanks,
Chris

And this is just some of my girls....I really haven't started looking at them yet but it was a nice day so I let them out for a little while and took some pics.

droolin.gif
beutifull birds

Hey Chris he looks like a good candidate for a keeper he has a good tail angle and you see the length in his back is of good proportion too. When you look at their back there should be an area just like his does, it shows the dark strip of the over the back feathers in between the hackles and saddles that's a good indication of not having too short of a back. When you look at them and the saddles and hackles are touching or almost touching it means they are a little short in this area. Just a little FYI for you to look for in some of the others, and too the tail-angle in NHs is 45*(degrees) above horizontal(flat back area) and yes the tail should be wide and open not tall and squeezed together (I call this Leghorn tailed). Nice looking flock you got going on there. I like! LOL

Jeff

Thanks guys. I cropped this pic and blew it up a bit so you can see it a little better.

Jeff, yes I like the length of his back. I have already gotten rid of two of my boys now. One had a really high angled tail and one had almost no back. I have another roo that is bigger than this guy but he holds his wings really low and he has one or two tail feathers that want two stick straight up. I have not sent him to freezer camp yet because I really like his size. This one above took a little longer to come around but so far I'm glad that I gave him a little extra time. I have a 4-month old that I'm watching and 2 3-month old boys that are also looking good as well but we will see.

Chris

Well I'd be no help, I'm greener than you are Chris. But if mine look that good at that age I'll be happy as a pig in slop.

Thanks guys. I cropped this pic and blew it up a bit so you can see it a little better.

Jeff, yes I like the length of his back. I have already gotten rid of two of my boys now. One had a really high angled tail and one had almost no back. I have another roo that is bigger than this guy but he holds his wings really low and he has one or two tail feathers that want two stick straight up. I have not sent him to freezer camp yet because I really like his size. This one above took a little longer to come around but so far I'm glad that I gave him a little extra time. I have a 4-month old that I'm watching and 2 3-month old boys that are also looking good as well but we will see.

Chris

Keep both of them. Chris I lost one this yr. and have wished ever since I had kept the other. Gloria Jean

I plan on keeping 3 NH roos, I had 7 up until this past weekend and I still have 10 chicks that are only a month old. I'm sure that I'll have some boys mixed in with them.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom