German Shepherd had surgery Need your guys help warning gross pics

So i just want to throw this out there. And please dont take this as I am taking sides with your vet. However, some tumors when removed or agitated will grow back very quickly. If they were unable to get all the margins (and this is not that the doctor did a botch job) but some tumor spread out with tiny like tentacles, that you can not see and when the bulk of the tumor is removed those little spots left behind come back with a vengence
sad.png
In a matter of days. So the incision dehicence may be due to the tumor regrowth and until you find out from pathology what tumor was sitting there, I would not have taken my chances with just butterflying it (and im glad you decided to butterfly as well as take him to see your vet). I understand not having the money, but you have to agree at least they are gonna let you make payments. Whether you pay that or not is your deal, but just keep in mind they will probably not give you the pathology results until your bill is current. Just some things to think about...I would be upset as well and I was not there so I can not judge their professionalism, but to help your situation I just wanted you to know those things, and I hope the tumor is not regrowing. Good Luck and give him lots of kisses! I love german shepherds and my Lars is my world
smile.png

Quote:
Yes I know all this no jumping ect........... Vet said she put stitches as tight as she could Im not saying its all there fault is was a big surgery a big mass. Im just upset we had to pay again I believe that for a surgery after care is included we were never informed of having to pay if it opened

Large surgeries can cause disruption of the local blood supply. This is impossible to see at the time of surgery. Even in people large surgical incisions can come apart due to poor blood flow in the area. The larger the surgery, the more likely this is to happen. You see this usually 4-7 days after surgery. It is unlikely that either you or your very did anything wrong, it is just the way things heal (or don't heal).

The reason many vets will not extend credit is because when they do they often do not get paid. If you really think there was malpractice involved, you will need to follow up on that. The sad fact in medicine is that outcomes are not always good, and this understandably upsets people. It does not, however, mean that something was done wrong. Although your vets sounds like she could use some lessons in tact and customer service.

I hope your old buddy does ok - good luck.

Ok he is home and stitched up better than before they also put four holes for drainage....... Now time to let my boy heal
DRAIN HOLES
28795_0613111626b_01.jpg

28795_0613111626a_01.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine a vet can't guarantee healing any more then a human surgeon can. My friend had a nasty infection after his open heart surgery. Required multiple wound care, and two more surgeries to get the surgery site to heal. Everything was done right, he just had the misfortune to get a nasty infection. No one ever suggested his second surgeries should be free, or that the hospital not be paid for his care.

Quote:
Quite often if an infection is found to be the medical provider's fault, i.e. a nosocomial infection , insurance companies will refuse to pay for the care resulting from the infection. Hospitals are forced to eat the cost of care. However, if someone has no insurance, they have to pay for everything, even if it is the hospital's fault.

Aww poor guy. I had a dog with a nasty bite to that exact same spot and he had to have the drains too. He tended to try and pull them out - so if your sweet guy doesn't have the cone on you might want to keep an eye on him with those drains.

The stitches look WAY better! I'm glad he's fixed up. Keep us updated - give him a hug for me!
hugs.gif

Poor dog. I am glad to see he is put back together. Hopefully for good this time.

I had a dog who needed multiple surgeries on her defective rear wheels. Instead of using a cone, my vet gave me a neck brace like you would get after whiplash. It wrapped around the neck and then had straps that hooked around the body. It was just as effective as the cone, but didn't freak her out like the cone was doing. If your boy is really upset by the cone you may want to look into that.

I hope he is on the road to recovery. Good luck to you both.

Back
Top Bottom