Gettin 3 Polish tomorrow

davecash

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
kaintucky
I'm gettin 3 polish hens, 2 are young hens, not laying yet, around 4-5 months, and the other is a golden polish which is a year old.
im excited. anything i should know about polish hens>?

Aww Davecash, I love my polish. They can be a little jumpy unless you hang around with them a lot. But they are funny and comically to watch. All I can think of is those silly bobble head dolls when they walk across the pen.

If the older hen is laying right now, don't be surprised if she suddenly stops. Mine are getting ready to molt, and they haven't in the past just slowed down laying.....they just quit! The younger ones probably won't start laying this year, but more like March of next year. They lay pretty well from March to about September for me, but I am in Maine.

What color are the two younger ones?

I love my Polish's. Rootbeer is my favorite and she's 3 months old. She'll follow you around like a dog. She wears a diaper, and is in the house due to being horribly picked and pecked on.

I love my golden laced "white feather" she follows me everywhere... and constantly wants attention... my other one, runs for the hills and hides... mine are 20 weeks, I have yet to get a single egg from any of them (if they have, I have not found them).. As verthandi said... they are a little jumpy... and if you dont spend alot of time with them than they are not as cuddely.

Good luck

I have a buff laced hen and a white crested roo, and both are as jumpy as cats because their crests block their vision. I don't mess with them very often due to the large amount of birds I have, but they're fun to watch and definitely what I consider "lawn ornaments".
wink.png

our polish are too cute...mind you they are quite skittish...i guess its the lack of vision thing. I am keeping mine in a separate coop and run from the main flock because I hear that they can get picked on.

Back
Top Bottom