Getting 2 pet ducks. Would it be okay to get different ones?

Duckwo

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
I am getting 2 ducks as pets. I want to get 2 so one isn’t lonely, but I’ve been debating whether to get 2 Khaki Campbell ducks or 2 Pekin ducks, and was wondering if I could just get 1 of each? I’m not sure if they would get along together, and I’m not sure how to go about researching it

Yes I agree with @Isadora those breeds should get along fine, niacin is a need, and if like to add that it may be best to get at least three. Anything can happen anytime to anyone of them, and it’s probably best to get three in case one doesn’t make it. Just my thoughts 🤷‍♀️two could end up just fine…. But then again they couldn’t.

I am getting 2 ducks as pets. I want to get 2 so one isn’t lonely, but I’ve been debating whether to get 2 Khaki Campbell ducks or 2 Pekin ducks, and was wondering if I could just get 1 of each? I’m not sure if they would get along together, and I’m not sure how to go about researching it
They will be okay! Especially if they are raised together, they won't notice a difference.

Yes I agree with @Isadora those breeds should get along fine, niacin is a need, and if like to add that it may be best to get at least three. Anything can happen anytime to anyone of them, and it’s probably best to get three in case one doesn’t make it. Just my thoughts 🤷‍♀️two could end up just fine…. But then again they couldn’t.
I can relate to this
We first got 2 pekin sisters early may of 2021
Then got my khaki in early July of 2021
Thank goodness we did cause we lost one of our pekin girls in October 2021
Our daisy would have been a lone duck
now we have 14 :)

pekin and khaki can do great together but because of the size difference do not get a pekin drake with a khaki girl. two girls, two boys, or one pekin girl + a khaki drake will work perfect but a pekin boy would hurt a khaki girl

i have 2 pekin, a khaki, and a rouen lol
They’re both going to be girls, but I will remember this for the future :)

Is this your first time keeping ducks? I will add that the Pekin tends to be more prone to health issues because of how big and hefty it is. They were originally bred for meat, not pets, but there are other breeds that look similar, for example the Duclair duck, or the white layer.

Last edited:
Is this your first time keeping ducks? I will add that the Pekin tends to be more prone to health issues because of how big and hefty they are. They were originally bred for meat birds, not pets, but there are other breeds that look similar, for example the Duclair duck, or the white layer.
Yes this is my first time owning ducks. I’ve been looking into how much extra niacin I need to feed her so she won’t have problems with being heavyweight

Back
Top Bottom