getting ahead of FLIES

There is solution for those as well.
View attachment 1303424
Just different attractant then flies.

BTW to avoid being exposed to the fly trap odors, place far away from where you are usually at. Flies will seek out the traps at the far end of your property and get caught there. As long as you capture them it means there are less around to bother you .
I place multiple traps into separate locations. I catch a large number of flies. Seems I clean out the neighborhood,, :gig
Oh, believe me, I have tons and tons of yellow jacket traps out, and catch them by the hundreds, but there are still too many!
I don’t know how far flies travel, but we have some of those awful traps out by the horse pasture... maybe we are divierring some flies there? And then also: those yellow jacket traps once dried up and full of wasps, make fantasic fly traps as they get stinky. I always keep them around a while longer to get a binch of flies. But while I see many in there, they are bever attracted to the coop area, unless I missed cleaning the poop board that day (whixh seldom happens).

Yuck, thise fly traps stink to high heaven - I can not stand to have them anywhere I can smell them.
We have never had many flies at all. I have deep litter in the run and use coop clean in the coop. The key, I think is making sure there are no droppings exposed sitting on top of litter (which they really don’t easily with the chickens churning everything up). If you have poop boards clean them every morning as soon as you let the chickens out. I do that and pick up any fresh poops that missed the board overnight and we never have any flies. Now yellow jackets are a problem, because they go for the feed...
this is really helpful - now I never thought about yellow jackets - I suppose the fly paper would smell like the trap does right? I've never used this before so I'd rather learn from your experiences than have to do it myself!

There is solution for those as well.
View attachment 1303424
Just different attractant then flies.

BTW to avoid being exposed to the fly trap odors, place far away from where you are usually at. Flies will seek out the traps at the far end of your property and get caught there. As long as you capture them it means there are less around to bother you .
I place multiple traps into separate locations. I catch a large number of flies. Seems I clean out the neighborhood,, :gig
thank you - I'm going to give all of this a shot

I just wanted to express an opinion.
Different peeps have different sensitivity, and tolerance to odors.
I have also made my home made versions of fly traps. (pictured below) I used the yellow one way trap from those disposable units in my previous post. The clear bottle is obvious.
I bait my traps with cat food. Cat food does not have a terribly offensive odor. It takes a couple days to jump into full swing. The disposable ones are much faster in action, like instantly.
You can try different attractants like tuna, sardines, or other things flies like to sit on. I never considered chicken gumdrops, and never would recommend. Too much bacteria at risk.
It is an individuals decision. If odor outweighs the fly nuisance issue.
Since I use multiple fly traps, my situation is well under control.
I also have to contend with other animal droppings. Cats, Dogs, and other night time crawlers, like raccoons, and opossum, and skunks. I do try to remove any that I see.

IMG_20170814_184224437.jpg

I use fly predator wasps around my barn and in my pasture and around the manure pile. I also put some in the compost pile near the house/coop. They work wonders. If you put them in the chicken yard, though, the chickens will just eat them.

Back
Top Bottom