Getting farm chores done when you have a baby - any tips?

Quote:
I loved my Mai Tai so much I still have it and can't part with it. My kids are 10 and 6 and I love that Mai Tai!
gig.gif

I used it to carry my son around disneyland when he was 4 years old, he climbed on my back and I tied him on and off we went. (no choke hold around the neck needed!)

These are just the kinds of things I want to hear!

I am going to get a baby monitor - I have a target gift certificate I can use for it.

I have an Ergo baby carrier with the Heart2heart infant insert on order. It's a more expensive carrier but it looks like it will be good to use until she's a toddler, and I've heard good things about it. The slings I can't figure out. A friend gave me a New Native brand sling that she loved and used for her kids, but my DD looks so uncomfortable in it. But that may just be me not knowing how to position her in the best way.

I think I'll have to get a Pack N Play by springtime to put in the garden.

Thank you and keep those suggestions coming!

I carried all my babies in slings while I worked....I have 4 and the youngest is now 18 months. He is in the pack n play outside while we work. When it gets cold he will be in front of the basement window so he can look outside and watch us.

I'd say that for the safety of the baby you should forego about 90% of all that farm work other than some tending of the garden. If your husband's doing most of it now, he can continue doing it.
Stay with the baby 24/7 for the first three or four years; you'll have enough to do doing that along with mostly inside farm home chores.

EDIT: Once the kid's in kindergarden you can be a "farmer" again if you want; until then, stay with the kid; he needs you more.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's all fine and dandy, but when you're a family farm and don't have/or can afford hired hands you do what you have to do to make a living. Since the day we got married 36 years ago our farm has been a partnership and we work together 24/7. Our kids grew up knowing how to work and appreciating what it took to put food on the table. I wouldn't change anything about what I did or how I raised our kids.

I would hire a teenager to watch my babies because I always seemed to be on equipment and that is the last place they need to be.
It was hard to focus on work 100% when knowing anything freaky can happen to those little ones if left alone (even when in sight if something happens you cant always get there quick enough.)

LOL gals---yes we sure do run when we have little kids and things have to get done!
kept me in shape definitely.

and my stupid baby monitor didn't go down to the barn....just too far for this model.

be sure you get one with super far range if you are leaving the house...I didn't bother buying a new model...wasn't worth it for the short time away from the house.

oh and for me, I never left the house unless she was asleep. If awake, you gotta be there..LOL

oh and take advantage of anyone stopping by the house---any visitor you know and wants to play or look at the baby, say---I gotta hit the barn, be back in a minute..LOL
they never mind covering for 10-15 mins. and you get work done!!

Back
Top Bottom