Getting my DD some Coturnix tomorrow-Any tips?

happyhensny

Brown Barns Farm
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
near Albany, New York
My 11 yr old dd has been the one to responsibly check the chickens, ducks, guineas and goats when I am not home without being told for the past 3 years. She asked for some Coturnix so of course, I said sure! (They are so darn cute anyway!
big_smile.png
) My nephew-in-law's dad has some extras so he said to some over and pick some out. He did try to talk me into some Red Golden Pheasants but don't think we are ready for those yet...
wink.png
Anyway, anything specific I need to know? We are planning on using a 36 x 24" wire cage with a 1/2" hardware cloth bottom and the sides are going to have chicken wire over the wire on the cage-think the spaces are too big. They will live in the barn with the chickens but in a separate area. The barn is draft free but not heated.

Thanks!

Annie

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281
THIS
WILL COVER THE BASICS. QUAIL SHOULDNT BE HOUSED WITH OTHER TYPES OF POULTRY AS THEY ARE VERY SUSCEPTIBLE TO POULTRY ILLNESSES THE CHICKENS OR OTHER POULTRY CARRY AND WHEN THEY GET IT- ITS LETHAL. AS FAR AS HOUSING THE SPACE SOUNDS FINE FOR ABOUT 6 BIRDS, THO I CAUTION AGAINST CHICKEN WIRE IF ANYTHING CAN GET TO THEM AS IT WONT PROTECT THEM VERY WELL. THEY DONT HAVE TO HOUSED IN THE BARN, SO LONG AS YOU COVER THE CAGE WITH A POLY TARP OR OTHER WISE KEEP THE WORST OF THE WIND OFF OF THEM THEY ARE QUITE COLD HARDY LIL BIRDS

Now that you say they do not have to be indoors I do have a "chicken tractor" that is empty. It has a house part that is 3' square and about 1 1/2' off the ground with a ramp to the run. The run is about 5 feet long and goes under the house section. The sides are 2" x 3" wire fencing with chicken wire to keep little birds in (had it as a broody house). Would this be better for the Quail than inside the barn? For example, tomorrow it will be -8* here. Pretty darn cold. It is warmer in the barn than it would be in the little tractor.

A rabbit hutch can suffice as well. I have larger colonies in rabbit hutches. Wire floors with a nest box/sand box thingy in the corner. Easy to clean and you can hook up lights just in case
wink.png

Great. I will put them in th cage for now on my back porch-enclosed but not heated and keep an eye on Craigslist for a hutch if I can't get around to making one. Thanks so much for the help and I'll take some pics tomorrow- EXCITED!!
wee.gif

Quote:
YES THE HUTCH WOULD BE MUCH BETTER IDEA... TRACTORS DONT WORK SO WELL... REMEMBER QUAIL ARE FAST FOOD FOR ANY WOULD BE PREDATOR--- UNLESS CAREFULLY CONSTRUCTED MOST TRACTORS JUST DONT AFFORD THEM ENOUGH PROTECTION... THEY ARENT AS SMART AS CHICKENS... I HAVE SEEN QUAIL ACTUALLY POKE THEIR HEADS THRU CHICKEN WIRE TO "LOOK AT THE PRETTY BIRDY" (WHICH HAPPENED TO BE A HAWK PERCHED ON THE SIDE OF THEIR ENCLOSURE WAITING FOR A DUMB AND CURIOUS LUNCH...I SUPPOSE EASY TO HAWK IS AS ATTRACTIVE AS FREE IS TO US?? ) WHILE THE AVERAGE CHICKEN WOULD BE THRASHING ABOUT AND HAVING A COW!

Quote:
I'd be a bit concerned about the fencing. 2x3 wire is big. Chicken wire is also big. Raccoons can reach through it and grab hold of your birds.

I'd consider changing the wire to hardware wire, if you are going to use it outside.

Quote:
I'd be a bit concerned about the fencing. 2x3 wire is big. Chicken wire is also big. Raccoons can reach through it and grab hold of your birds.

I'd consider changing the wire to hardware wire, if you are going to use it outside.

even 1" wire is not safe for these guys unless you want to feed the local wildlife.

Ok we picked up 7 Coturnix tonight. We get home and find out that a friend has a rabbit hutch that they want out of the yard ASAP so, hopefully tomorrow we can go pick it up and see what needs to be done to modify it, if anything. The bunny that lived there had a heated animal thing in the bottom, it is insulated and built ridiculously sturdy. Our friend is a bit of an overachiever...
tongue.png
I will have to check out what fencing he used, hopefully hardware cloth.
fl.gif
I'll get some pics tomorrow!

PS - They are so CUTE!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom