Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Pics please [​IMG]
  2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

You will have to use your imagination. There won't be any pictures for a while unless you know someone who controls one of those drones that the USA does not have in the region.
  3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    LOVE the updates (and pics when available).
    You know we all hatch vicariously through you!!!

When are you next taking the next batch as the Cream legbars are laying up a storm?
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

and just when i was about to settle for Amercaunas for my blue eggs.................

I fly out july 3
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

it just dawned on me

my father in law owns a one hour photo store in just about every town on the island - and he does not use a camera. how wrong is that??

let me harass him to at least have his drive get some pictures when he passes by.
    1 person likes this.
  6. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

And Just how wrong is it that Bernie DON'T have a phone that will do pic's as well as text,[​IMG] even better updates for all of us!

Scott (just thinking how nice it would be)
  7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Its a little more complicated than that. you have heard of 3g and 4g right? we have 1g. occasionally 2g between 4am and 8 am for some reason.

its 20km to the nearest internet cafe and bernie has never used a pc in his life.

its truly a different world living in a bario in the third world
    1 person likes this.
  8. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Cell phone companies know their market. our socioeconomic demographic can afford to text, there is no incentive to upgrade to 3g. We have satellite tv, fairly reliable power (maybe 3 hrs of outage a month), and just got municipal water.

we do have a well and a hand pump though - and a charcoal iron, a pedal sewing machine and bernie cuts the grass with a bolo - a blade.

you guys need to visit
  10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Update - day 13 completed

Day 14 started at 11am on Monday (8pm Sunday PDST)

The lumber jack is at the farm culling 4 old coconut trees that no longer produce fruit,

He will mill the lumber with the chainsaw and a skillful eye. 3x3 2x2 2x3 2x4, We will use it on the new coops and fence.

Tonight Bernie will ready the quail for lock down by candling all the eggs and removing the clears. Tomorrow he will off the turner and put them in the styro bator to hatch. We wont add water till there is an exrernal pip - we want to dry them out as much as possible.

Here are some previously used pics of the lumberjack.

it will cost around 15 dollars a tree to fell and mill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by