Ghost barring project

Most popular characteristic will make it into the final “breed”!

• Feathered feet

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Five toes

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Bantam size

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Gray skin

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Beard

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Crest

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Extra long tail

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Unusual egg color

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Speckled eggs

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics
@MysteryChicken @All4Eggz @PippinTheChicken @Amer @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome

I think the polls for the special traits are pretty much done, so, with that, I can solidify my pairing plans.

I’ll be pairing my barred rock rooster with black Cochins, black Sumatras, silver duckwing phoenixes, and some filler hens to keep the ratio good. Then cross those ect. ect. I might also outcross with a black pekin rooster I have if the feathered feet need improvement, and keep breeding and culling until I’m satisfied.

On the other side of things, I’ll be pairing a white ameraucana Rooster with white leghorn hens to get egg color, dominant white, and improve egg laying.

After oh so long of doing this, once I have 5-10 ‘sop’ meeting hens and 1 ‘sop’ meeting rooster for each group I’ll switch the roosters and breed the resulting chicks to each other until the true ‘sop’ of my breeding project is created.

Finally, what is the ‘sop’ description for my breed, and what will it be called? I’ve been wanting to unveil the name for my breed for quite some time, but I wanted to wait until I had finally decided on what it would look like to say definitively. I wanted the name to be interesting, but not sound like a name you’d see at a bath and bodyworks. So, after thinking on it for a while I’ve decided. The name I’ve settled on is ghostbar chickens, which is really only a fancy version of what I’ve been calling them this whole time , but I figured they needed a proper name.View attachment 3114979here’s a sketch of them.They’ll be the approximate size of leghorns, and have about the same build. The tail will be medium set, not squirrelly, but I don’t want it to be low set either. Depending on how much the ameraucana’s effect them, They might end up bearded chickens but that wouldn’t be the worst. They’ll lay blue eggs, and have feathered feet. Their tail will be longer, hopefully at least to the ground. That’s about all I have for this update, until next time.
Sounds cool

I think the polls for the special traits are pretty much done, so, with that, I can solidify my pairing plans.

I’ll be pairing my barred rock rooster with black Cochins, black Sumatras, silver duckwing phoenixes, and some filler hens to keep the ratio good. Then cross those ect. ect. I might also outcross with a black pekin rooster I have if the feathered feet need improvement, and keep breeding and culling until I’m satisfied.

On the other side of things, I’ll be pairing a white ameraucana Rooster with white leghorn hens to get egg color, dominant white, and improve egg laying.

After oh so long of doing this, once I have 5-10 ‘sop’ meeting hens and 1 ‘sop’ meeting rooster for each group I’ll switch the roosters and breed the resulting chicks to each other until the true ‘sop’ of my breeding project is created.

Finally, what is the ‘sop’ description for my breed, and what will it be called? I’ve been wanting to unveil the name for my breed for quite some time, but I wanted to wait until I had finally decided on what it would look like to say definitively. I wanted the name to be interesting, but not sound like a name you’d see at a bath and bodyworks. So, after thinking on it for a while I’ve decided. The name I’ve settled on is ghostbar chickens, which is really only a fancy version of what I’ve been calling them this whole time , but I figured they needed a proper name.View attachment 3114979here’s a sketch of them.They’ll be the approximate size of leghorns, and have about the same build. The tail will be medium set, not squirrelly, but I don’t want it to be low set either. Depending on how much the ameraucana’s effect them, They might end up bearded chickens but that wouldn’t be the worst. They’ll lay blue eggs, and have feathered feet. Their tail will be longer, hopefully at least to the ground. That’s about all I have for this update, until next time.
Love the name.
Could you give us an *estimate* on how long you think it will take til you have the official Ghostbars? Months? Years?
Asking because I may be interested in some hatching eggs later on :).

Love the name.
Could you give us an *estimate* on how long you think it will take til you have the official Ghostbars? Months? Years?
Asking because I may be interested in some hatching eggs later on :).
I could probably get some sort of proto-ghostbar (will probably have common faults such as leakage, wrong comb, etc.) in 1-2 years, and refined mostly sop conforming ghostbars in 4-5 years. I don’t know when I’ll start offering hatching eggs, but I will provide an update when I do.

Cool! I like it!

Sounds like you have a good plan!
Just so you know, pekins and cochins are the same breed, they just have a different name depending on where you live.

It’s time for another update and sadly this one isn’t as good as I hoped it’d be. After a severe flood and some predator issues out of the 10 ameraucana chicks I got for this project, currently I’m down to one; and I suspect that it’s a hen. I’m trying to stray away from using EE’s because their mixed-bag genetics are more than likely going to cause issues in the future, but at this point it might be unavoidable to keep the project going and not delay it anymore.

On another note, I have some somewhat good news. Noodles has molted recently and started growing his feathers back and I noticed that his barring is much more prominent on these new feathers. I believe this means that the faint cream color sun bleaches really easy, but it also means that ghost barring does appear on adult plumage.

That’s all I have until the next update.

Back
Top Bottom