Glass panel vs wire mesh

jackei

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Hello all, I am building a castle for my chickens, and I need some inputs and recommendations, whether I should use glass panels on the front side of the run. My original design was wire mesh on all four sides of the enclosed run area, until I saw some large glass panels sitting in the yard (they are actualy clear shower glass door panels) Since we are in the urban area, I am trying to build a more modern/stylish coop. I wonder what do you think if I use those frameless glass panels on the front side of the run area instead of wire mesh. Thanks!

Well, sounds adventurous, why not! Give it a go, and if it looks naff, switch to the wire mesh. Be prepared to take a while building the coop/castle, and make sure you have very god blueprints before you make critical decisions. All this helped with building my cop and run, just introduced my 2 POL's yesterday, and they get to explore our hard built run today! Wow, I think ALL our neighbours have chickens :D.

I guess my only concerns are 1)dust on the glass, and 2)reflection of the glass panel. Not sure if I can see the chickens easily through the glass panel.

Does anyone have similar setup?

We're building a new coop - which means the gate is out of commission. Their new door has a glass panel insert. I keep catching the chickens staring at their reflection in the glass! I even think one girl pecked herself (kissed?!)! It's been fun to watch.
They get bored of it pretty quickly when the chicken in the glass doesn't answer. Think of it as a passing fad!
As for dust...yeah, it'll need to be cleaned regularly. But if you've got a hose, you'll be able to 'shower' down the shower door!

Thanks for sharing! I will give the glass panel a try
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom