1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

glycerin in water to prevent freezing?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yammafarmer, Nov 27, 2012.

1. yammafarmer

yammafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    I just read in a chicken raising book that I can add glycerin to your chickens' drinking water to keep it from freezing. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Would it be a bonus and soften any potential crop issues? Or just a bad idea?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I read that you can add up to 6% glycerin overall to their water without ill effect http://ps.fass.org/content/88/3/615.full I also read that you have to add glycerin 10% to water to reduce freezing temperature by 1.5 degrees C.

I don't know how much glycerin costs, but adding 10% to a gallon of water would be 12.8 ounces. Per a CVS pharmacy advertisement, 6 ounces of glycerin costs $5.49.

That might become expensive after a while.

Chris

3. yammafarmer

yammafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    That does sound pricey. I was hoping it was more like a tablespoon.

4. Eaglecrone

Eaglecrone New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    I have read that about 1 TBSP per gallon is enough to keep water from freezing down to 0 degree. More after that. Remember, it must be "food grade" glycerin. then there is the 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water for a supplement. Have tried both and so far, so good. Kate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by