GMO dangers and animal miscarriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is that the bacterial genes attached to GMO corn may have been picked up by human gut bacteria and begun a process of making their own steady supply of stomach-eating toxins.

LOL

You don't REALLY believe this do you?
Are these "toxins" more powerful than the Hydrochloric Acid your stomach already produces?

BT is a naturally occurring bacteria that ONLY affects insects and their larvae.

Repeating hysteria and misinformation doesn't do anyone any good

In neither case (reading 'authoritative' information or reading alternative sources) should we detach our brains.

At least on this part we agree​

Last edited:
I found this discussion quite interesting. You raise your chickens, you eat their eggs and possibly the chicken at some point if you are raising for meat but most of you have no problem with GMO products. GMO, Genetically modified by scientists which are human beings and therefore not without faults. If you have only read a little on GMO products than I don't believe you have all the information you need to form an educated opinion. Sorry. If we do not stop the GMO products and seeds being used we will have a world filled with foods not only for ourselves but for our chickens, cows and any other living creatures that will change us in ways that we will not realize until after the damage has been done. One post referred to the increase in autism, yes I believe they could be at least partially responsible and a host of other health crisis we are facing today. I am not going to try to educate you on the harm GMOs can do but I am hoping that you all take the time to research and educate yourselves on these products and stop using them till you know all the facts. I can see from other posts here that if I tried to give you facts you would blow them off so perhaps if you care enough about the world you live in you will take the time to read on this subject from sources you trust.

As to the mention of GMOs occurring naturally over time. The key word here is Natural. It is not forced and modified by changing DNA structure to be something more than it would be on it's own. This is how GMOs are created, Forced and DNA Structures Changed. You need to read up on the companies that are creating GMOs. The lawsuits against them for the damages they have created. You may be one of those folks if you continue to use their products. I am just curious, do you grow anything other than heirloom seeds in your garden? If not, why is that? Could it be because you already have enough information to know that seeds saved from hybrid plants (genetically modified), can not be saved and relied upon to grow the same product you had the year previously? Think of your children and grand children and devote some time to studying on GMO. I really hope you will!

Quote:
The issue is that the actual facts and unbiased scientific studies are basically nonexistent. Perhaps you would be taken seriously if you could provide research studies with proof of claims.

Monsanto DOES have seeds with a terminator gene in them. And I think that is beyond wrong. They have gone so far to patent and make sure nobody collects seeds, that they make sure the seeds from the parent plants are sterile. Yes, that company is like the seed gestapo, making farmers dependent on them. Not all genetically modified plants have this trait, however.

Oh dear. How very easy it is to rile people up with pseudo-science. Every chicken in your flock is a completely unnatural creation of man. As are almost all the foods you and they eat.

The hysteria over what are termed GMOs is almost entirely rooted in ignorance of science and scientists.

I believe in healthy skepticism, but only if informed, and online propaganda will simply not do.

Quote:
Saw this the other day-

"In theory the internet was a good idea."

And guess what was the first thing that came to my mind?

Hungary just banned GMO Corn
http://planetsave.com/2011/07/21/hungary-destroys-all-monsanto-gmo-maize-fields/

Face it, GMO's are here to stay and more will keep coming. Thank you Monsanto and the USDA.
The thing that angers me is that I don't have a choice, they have put that garbage in everything. By law they don't have to label foods that contain it. If you want to eat that garbage its your freedom of choice but others don't have that freedom of information.
So much for democracy.

I can see that most of you are not concerned with the foods you eat or grow, or for that matter feed your animals or poultry. It is still a free country with freedom of choices. Someone said that if I backed my concerns up with solid information it would be more believable. I have my doubts and quite honestly most people are more likely to believe something they have researched for themselves. I was a skeptic until I did a lot or research. Someone else leading me to sites they wanted me to read was not convincing to me. It was only after I began searching out the truth for myself did I begin to understand what is being done to our food supply. As for the post regarding commercial hatcheries where the poultry is being fed GMO products but the chickens are not all dead, I was not implying that this would happen. I also would not want to order chicks from them but that is again freedom of choice.

I am not wanting to argue or debate with anyone on this site. It is a great site and I enjoy being a part of it. So I will look at your replies if you care to do so but I will not post anything more on this subject.

Someone who seems more concerned with this subject mentioned Monsanto, take a look at them if you do no other research. I am hoping if you check them out it will spark your interest in knowing more about the subject.
he.gif

I apologize for not inserting your quotes but I am still learning how much of this works.

Partner to one DH, who I could not do without. Mom of 6 Lt. Brahma hens, 1 mean Lt Brahma rooster, 12 mixed breed hens and 1 mixed breed rooster, 24 RI Red hens and 2 RI roosters, 12 BO hens, 2 BO roosters, 12 Blk. A. hens and 1 Blk. A. rooster. 1 great dog who helps protect my chickens.

It does not serve any useful purpose to chastise anyone for not doing a certain thing. Feeding whatever to ourselves and the animals in our care is a choice. If someone said "you're going to die if you eat something," then it would be a case of that person making a conscious decision of whether or not to eat it. When we are talking about food and feeds that obviously don't kill if you eat them on a regular basis, then the argument is very subjective. All of us have prejudices, and is difficult to not bring them to the conversation, but we should never impose our personal thoughts on anyone. I don't like GMOs for most of the reasons stated (which may or may not be found to be true,) but I cannot say to anyone to not use something because I don't. Many here do not have the access, the resources and the want to feed anything other than commercial feed, or eat commercially grown foodstuffs. They are fine with it, and I am fine with them being fine with it. The discussion should be a discussion not an argument. A debate can either be "fact" filled or of personal experience. Ramming a point home generally does nothing to change someone's opinion, and just breeds more contentious posting. Ultimately, it ends with a locked thread or a deleted series of posts.

I am a believer in staying as close to organic as possible, when it is available, within my budget, and feels right to me. I won't turn down a steak raised on GMO corn because I think it will kill me, but I would rather the taste of a grass fed one.

In the case of what we are talking about here, chicken feed, I enjoy hearing personal experiences from people who have tried commercial, organic, or both, and hearing the results they have observed. If there is a good study done with a large data base, then I take that into consideration. I feed our chickens organic because I want to, as simple as that. I would feed Purina, Blue seal, or any of the others if that is what was only available, and what I could afford.

Sooner or later the big commercial feed suppliers are going to add lines of organics to their production because of popular demand. They will have been certified and blended by nutritional scientists that work for them. Might be a good choice since they can afford nutritional experts on staff to make the formula correctly. You can't mistrust all large companies and trust the local feed mill exclusively to provide a balanced ration. If the local guy can certify his/her mix, then it should be fine. If you are just taking his/her word, then you are doing yourself and your chickens a disservice, and cannot argue the point that your feed is better. I'd rather feed commercial feed than have some miller tell me that by feeding his/her organic corn only my chickens will receive a complete and balanced diet, or that free ranging makes up the difference.

Organic, commercial, GMO or non-GMO, soy, or soy free. It is up to the individual, if it even matters to them, to make the choice. And it is not necessary to beat into someone the reason it should matter to them. They are either interested in what you have to say, or not.

I will always say what I have found my chickens do best on, and will always continue to do research to find what "I" think is better, hoping it helps someone else make their decision easier.

This is a wonderful place to discuss and share our personal experiences with chickens. Helping each other is the best part of it, IMO.

Quote:
That's my beef, label them & then we can choose. I got a free can of store brand tuna today & I flipped when instead of water, tuna & salt or whatever, it contained broth. Then reading further I see it is broth with soy, so I quickly pick up my preferred brand & yep, that one and every other one on the shelf now has broth that contains soy in it. So there goes another healthy food down the drain by adding soy! I get enough soy in snack foods etc. So I can't even have tuna without soy ???? What crap our food supply has become.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom